Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Common-Law - supporting document - how many copies?

Common-Law - supporting document - how many copies?

Old Apr 5th 2010, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

jameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to all
Default Common-Law - supporting document - how many copies?

I will soon be submitting my application under the Common-Law Family Class route.

I have put the following together as supporting documents:

. 3x letters of support from family and friends

. Tenancy agreements for the three homes we have rented together, dating back to 2008.

. Confirmation of setup of our joint business account (we run a business together)

. The most recent statement from this account, with both names listed

. Confirmation from my credit card issuer, dated November 2008, that my partner has been issued a card and added to my account.

. Letter of our request to both be added to the local electoral register, dated 2008.

. Council Tax bill from 2008, showing both names

. A closing statement from one of our landlords, in both names.

. A copy of a postcard from my partners parents to me, from their vacation in Florida

. Copies of 2 envelopes, both dated a year apart (2008 and 2009) showing Christmas cards sent to both names at the same address.

. Copy of flight confirmation from a flight home from Nova Scotia to London in 2007, from a trip I took to visit my partner before we started living together in 2008.

. Copy of flight confirmation dated 2008, which was the flight my partner made to the UK upon her move to live with me.

. Air Canada luggage stubs, showing both names, from a trip we took to Canada together last year

. A selection of a few photo's from various stages of our relationship, showing us together and with eachothers families

. Confirmation of a cruise booking we have for later this year

Two questions.

1. Is that enough proof that we are in a genuine and continuing relationship?

2. Our application is made up of two parts. Part one is my girlfriends application to be a Sponsor, and the second part is my application for PR. Both applications ask for us to provide proof that we are in a genuine and continuing relationship. Should we split the above documents 50/50, and send half each. Or should we make two copies of everything and send the same proof with each of our applications?

Many thanks
Old Apr 5th 2010, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

tim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Common-Law - supporting document - how many copies?

Originally Posted by jameswales
I will soon be submitting my application under the Common-Law Family Class route.

I have put the following together as supporting documents:

. 3x letters of support from family and friends

. Tenancy agreements for the three homes we have rented together, dating back to 2008.

. Confirmation of setup of our joint business account (we run a business together)

. The most recent statement from this account, with both names listed

. Confirmation from my credit card issuer, dated November 2008, that my partner has been issued a card and added to my account.

. Letter of our request to both be added to the local electoral register, dated 2008.

. Council Tax bill from 2008, showing both names

. A closing statement from one of our landlords, in both names.

. A copy of a postcard from my partners parents to me, from their vacation in Florida

. Copies of 2 envelopes, both dated a year apart (2008 and 2009) showing Christmas cards sent to both names at the same address.

. Copy of flight confirmation from a flight home from Nova Scotia to London in 2007, from a trip I took to visit my partner before we started living together in 2008.

. Copy of flight confirmation dated 2008, which was the flight my partner made to the UK upon her move to live with me.

. Air Canada luggage stubs, showing both names, from a trip we took to Canada together last year

. A selection of a few photo's from various stages of our relationship, showing us together and with eachothers families

. Confirmation of a cruise booking we have for later this year

Two questions.

1. Is that enough proof that we are in a genuine and continuing relationship?

2. Our application is made up of two parts. Part one is my girlfriends application to be a Sponsor, and the second part is my application for PR. Both applications ask for us to provide proof that we are in a genuine and continuing relationship. Should we split the above documents 50/50, and send half each. Or should we make two copies of everything and send the same proof with each of our applications?

Many thanks
With reference to question 1 that is quite a lot more than me and my partner and ours was sufficient.

In relation to the second question if it was me I would make two copies and send the same proof with each application.

Tim
Old Apr 6th 2010, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

jameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to all

Many thanks for this, Tim.

Does anyone else have any views?
Old Apr 6th 2010, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

Kynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really nice

We had that same kind of evidence and it was fine. We only had one copy of the evidence. Because we applied outland, the entire application (sponsor's paperwork AND the paperwork for the person being sponsored) had to go to Mississauga in one envelope. From there they approved me to sponsor him (I'm assuming they looked at the supporting docs since they were referred to in the application, but who knows) and things were forwarded to London. I KNOW the supporting docs went to London with the application because when the photos and cards were returned, they came from there. They then processed the application, returned the photos and cards we'd enclosed and 2 of the visa photos we'd included (with a note they could be used when the passport request was made). About a week later we received the passport request.

So one copy seemed to be just fine (at least for outland route being processed in London).

Oh, one thing we DID do was photocopy everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) except the photos before mailing it. That copy stayed packaged up in our cabinet in case the application was lost en route to Mississauga or incase we were contacted regarding the application at any point. Not only was I not going through the hassle of putting all that info together again from scratch, but if they contacted us, we wanted to be able to look at exactly what they were looking at while discussing something.

Last edited by Kynn; Apr 6th 2010 at 12:51 am.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

Rather than include actual photo's we have put electronic versions into Word documents and printed them off, would this be okay?
Old Apr 6th 2010, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

Kynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really nice

Read through the application guide. I THOUGHT it said something about the photos having to be loose, but it's been almost a year since we did ours. We just had prints made at the local shop of the jpg files we wanted included. I numbered all of them, wrote the description on the back and date, and then also had a master 'spreadsheet' that listed them all. Probably overkill, but meh.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

I will have a look at the guide now, thanks for the heads up!

Yes - we have the 'master spreadsheet' thing going on also! I'd hate to be the person getting our application!

I'm also a but miffed because, due to my own ignorance, I got a bunch of passport photo's taken last week in a booth - only to find after reading the region-specific forms that the 8 copies need to meet specific dimensions.

I'll have to get them done again with a photographer!
Old Apr 6th 2010, 2:52 am
Just Joined

G Kann is an unknown quantity at this point

I will have a look at the guide now, thanks for the heads up!

Yes - we have the 'master spreadsheet' thing going on also! I'd hate to be the person getting our application!

I'm also a but miffed because, due to my own ignorance, I got a bunch of passport photo's taken last week in a booth - only to find after reading the region-specific forms that the 8 copies need to meet specific dimensions.

I'll have to get them done again with a photographer!
I wonder if you have to. Are you in the UK? Because the UK passport specs and the specs for Canadian PR photo are similar, apart from needing a white background. I believe they highlight specs for PR application photo as the Canadian passport photo is bigger than PR app photo and UK passport photo.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

Waltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud of

sounds like plenty of evidence to me. I sent in similar things to you and I am now waiting for the return of my passport with my lovely PR visa in it!!

For the 'proof' I just put it all into one evelope, marked it it 'Evidence of Common-law relationship' and a list of what was in there. I wouldn't worry about sending two copies.

Good luck with your application. Hopefully you hear back soon!
Old Apr 6th 2010, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Matilda

Did you make an Outland application? If so, can I PM you with a question?
Old Apr 6th 2010, 6:16 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Has anyone actually been refused when they simply submitted the documents asked for, i.e. joint bank account statement and a joint lease for a property (assuming you rent) for at least the previous 12 months and completing the Declaration of Common-Law Partnership with a Notary Public?

Because I keep seeing people with these long lists of evidence, and I realise it is "to be on the safe side", but isn't it a tad excessive? I ask not to be rude, but to make sure that my attitude to this evidence isn't too relaxed.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

Waltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud of

Thanks Matilda

Did you make an Outland application? If so, can I PM you with a question?
Hi...yep I did outland (and am living in Canada) Feel free to PM me.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Linzania is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BTJ
Has anyone actually been refused when they simply submitted the documents asked for, i.e. joint bank account statement and a joint lease for a property (assuming you rent) for at least the previous 12 months and completing the Declaration of Common-Law Partnership with a Notary Public?
Not sure about that answer as I too did send off lots of info (which is on a list of documentation which they ask for here under "common law partner" http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...asp#common_law)

A notarised declaration of common law partnership is only needed when a common law couple is sponsoring other family members, not each other. As I understand. My common law partner and I did not get this form done and there was no problem with our app.

Re: James' Q about photos on word - I know of one couple who put about 10 pics on word document and printed them off (with names, form/Q numbers on the top of each page of course) and their app was OK. I printed off a lot of pics (I went overboard for sure but def have no regrets about that!) from costco and wrote on the back of each one. They were all returned to me but I know they were looked at as they had some fingerprints on and the envelopes I put them in were opened.

Good luck with your application!

Last edited by Linzania; Apr 6th 2010 at 7:21 pm. Reason: added link
Old Apr 7th 2010, 2:28 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Linzania
Not sure about that answer as I too did send off lots of info (which is on a list of documentation which they ask for here under "common law partner" http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...asp#common_law)

A notarised declaration of common law partnership is only needed when a common law couple is sponsoring other family members, not each other. As I understand. My common law partner and I did not get this form done and there was no problem with our app.
Ah...I think there must then be a difference in levels of evidence needed. My apologies, I assumed it would be the same across the board. Since I am only applying for a study permit we simply fill in the Declaration and supply the evidence I already mentioned.

Seems strange though that we're allowed to have significantly less evidence than a sponsored PR app, surely they'd want to be just as sure you are a couple regardless of whether it is for temporary or permanent purposes. Though it is not for me to question the almighty CIC.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

ibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the rough

In my case we both went to a commissioner of oath with all our evidence, i.e. joint mortgage and joint bank accounts. The commissioner of oath checked our documents and check our identities then made us signed the application form in his presence.

I have sent it about 2 months ago and the embassy had never asked any questions about it. Actually I received an email from the London UK Canadian embassy about 4 hours ago...re: a mistyped date on my wife's address. Nothing about the common law form was mentioned.

Bye

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.