Common-law status

Old Aug 3rd 2015, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

jackdbennett is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Common-law status

Hello all!

Firstly, I have just posted a separate thread, so apologies (It is about something separate, and don’t like to confuse things!)

This is a question about the date of my common-law partnership with my girlfriend. Any help, as always will be greatly appreciated.

We have now been living together for a total of about 18 months. This was from March 2014 in Toronto, when I moved in to her apartment. At this address, the only proof of me living there is payslips (April onwards) and possibly some stuff from HR Block from doing my taxes. We unfortunately have nothing with both of our names on due everything being set up in her name when she originally moved in. I do have emails from the bank, confirming my transferring of money to her for rent, however.

When we moved to England, we made certain that everything was set up in both of our names (Bills, tenancy agreement, bank accounts etc) This was from October 2014 (September we were living with my parents – Though she has some post addressed there from this period). So currently, just under 12 months.

I suppose the question is in terms of the date we entered the common-law partnership. As we have been living as common law since March ’14, I would want to use this date, or would we face problems as it is only majorly documented once we lived in England. We have everything else from this time (Photos, texts, travel itineraries and more)

Thanks in advance,

Jack
Old Aug 4th 2015, 8:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Common-law status

I know that officially you've been living together since March 2014, but the 'proof' you've mentioned (i.e. bank transfer for rent, payslips at that address for you) don't show that you were living as husband and wife at all. If you look at it from CIC's point of view, they're just proof that you were living there, but that could have been as a flatmate.

So personally I wouldn't risk applying until you've done the full year with proof that you're in a 'marriage like' relationship which is the vital thing that CIC are looking for.

HTH a bit, good luck.