Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

common law sponsorship - statutory declarations from parents

common law sponsorship - statutory declarations from parents

Old Apr 18th 2006, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

jazzist is an unknown quantity at this point
Default common law sponsorship - statutory declarations from parents

Hi All,

I am working on getting all of the documents together to apply to move to Canada under common law sponsorship.

I understand that I need three statutory declarations, one signed by myself and my partner, and one each from the parents of each of us.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a solicitor to me?

I need a solicitor to write the two statutory declarations for the parents, so that they are valid/legal/acceptable by CIC. I then need the solicitor to witness with all parties present all three statutory declarations.

Let me know what you think,

Thanks,
Mathew.

I have just sent the following email to CIC, asking the same question.. Searching this forum shows that some people have gotten away with letters, but some have then been asked for additional proofs. I would prefer to do the declarations properly and avoid hassle further down the line.

Hi,

I understand that to apply to move to canada under the common law
sponsorship scheme I need three statutory declarations. One signed by
both myself and my partner, and two others, preferably from both
parents on each side, declaring the validity and length of our
relationship.

A template is provided for myself and my partner, in the form of form
IMM5409E. No template is provided for the other two statutory
declarations. Do these other two declarations need to be written by a
solicitor so that they are valid/legal/acceptable by CIC? Or can we
write our own, using IMM5409E as a template, so that it words
correctly for the parents signing it? Or, can it simply be a letter
from each set of parents (with words to the same effect of our
completed IMM5409E) validated with a commisioner of oaths signature?

Last edited by jazzist; Apr 18th 2006 at 10:40 am.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

vietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: common law sponsorship - statutory declarations from parents

It's true that you and your partner need to fill in a Common-Law Statutory Declaration, and you should have two other Statutory Declarations, but they don't need to be your parents. It could also be friends or other family members. Well parents may be a good idea, it's not the rule. Also 2 is the min, if you can do a few more it's better.

As far as the forms, you can make your own using the Common-Law forms as you template. That's what we did and everything is fine. You just need to have them signed be a Commisioner Of Oath.

Also, are you applying from within Canada or from abroad? If you're applying from abroad then the sponsor will also need to make a Statutory Declaration in the matter of intent to reside in Canada with the applicant.

Best of luck
Old Apr 25th 2006, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by vietcan
Also, are you applying from within Canada or from abroad? If you're applying from abroad then the sponsor will also need to make a Statutory Declaration in the matter of intent to reside in Canada with the applicant.

Best of luck
I've not heard of that before and can't find it in the application documentation..

There is simply a section on one of the forms that you fill out, you have to ticket and fill out to say you have this intent, not get another statutory declaration...
Old Apr 25th 2006, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

vietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the rough

You asked for advice. You can take it or leave it. That information was given to me by an expert on this board (Mr Miller) Not everything is in the immigration guide. I choose to take Mr Miller advice and we had no problems. If you want to just fallow the guide, go for it.

Originally Posted by jazzist
I've not heard of that before and can't find it in the application documentation..

There is simply a section on one of the forms that you fill out, you have to ticket and fill out to say you have this intent, not get another statutory declaration...
Old Apr 25th 2006, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for your help..

this is seeming more and more like a black art

But, I'm finally getting there, and nearly have all of the documentation in place to send the application.

I will make a declaration for intent to reside too, as it is so little effort. I have searched the forums and can see that it has helped others, but I'm not sure how... but what should I care as long as my application goes through

thanks.

Last edited by jazzist; Apr 25th 2006 at 2:08 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah, it really is little effert to make the extra Declaration, so why not eh. I know I was confused as to why information like this is not on the guide too, but if an expert like Mr Miller says you should do it, then I'd suggest taking his advice. It can only make your case stonger, and that's what you want.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by jazzist
thanks for your help..

this is seeming more and more like a black art

But, I'm finally getting there, and nearly have all of the documentation in place to send the application.

I will make a declaration for intent to reside too, as it is so little effort. I have searched the forums and can see that it has helped others, but I'm not sure how... but what should I care as long as my application goes through

thanks.

Old Apr 26th 2006, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

MapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really nice

I have a quick question also. Last week My partner and I filled out the declaration of common law and it was signed by a comissioner of oaths. underneath it says 'commission expires may 6th 2006' does this mean that this will no longer be valid after the 6th of may and I will be unable to submit it with our application.
or
does it mean that the commissioner has to renew some sort of license ... and hers expires in May?
Old Apr 28th 2006, 6:11 am
Faire de la *fluff fluff*

Fluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by vietcan
Yeah, it really is little effert to make the extra Declaration, so why not eh. I know I was confused as to why information like this is not on the guide too, but if an expert like Mr Miller says you should do it, then I'd suggest taking his advice. It can only make your case stonger, and that's what you want.

Good luck.
Hey to both of you,
Just wanted to say that we also didn't understand that we needed to have the Stat Dec done of our intent (as we live oustide of canada) but we did bring all of our papers and the like with us to the Embassy to the Hague where we showed the commissioner all of our proof, under which our story/statement of our intent to move back to Canada (we also wrote that it was included in that paragraph on the form for the Stat Dec). In that way we hope that it will then be enough - I guess we will see as we've sent it out the door - we tracked down our package via FedEx and we see it arrived yesterday... I guess we just have to wait and see....