Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

COMMON LAW SPONSORSHIP PLEASE HELP!!

COMMON LAW SPONSORSHIP PLEASE HELP!!

Old Apr 22nd 2009, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

Sandra09 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default COMMON LAW SPONSORSHIP PLEASE HELP!!

Hi all I want to sponsor my boyfriend, we both live togehter in the UK. He moved into my house in December last year and we were together from June 08. The only prove I have of him living with me before we set up joint account this month and changed his post etc is an invoice from a garden landscaper in Jan to do the garden in his name.
We want to apply in December after our year togehter but will we have to wait until we have another 4 months evidence??
We will have statements for family, friends, important member of community etc.
Please help!

Thanks!
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COMMON LAW SPONSORSHIP PLEASE HELP!!

Originally Posted by Sandra09
Hi all I want to sponsor my boyfriend, we both live togehter in the UK. He moved into my house in December last year and we were together from June 08. The only prove I have of him living with me before we set up joint account this month and changed his post etc is an invoice from a garden landscaper in Jan to do the garden in his name.
We want to apply in December after our year togehter but will we have to wait until we have another 4 months evidence??
We will have statements for family, friends, important member of community etc.
Please help!

Thanks!
Hi Sandra and welcome to the forum.

Just to check - you are a Canadian citizen?

You need to prove that you have been living 'as husband and wife' for at least one year to qualify for common-law sponsorship. Him paying somebody to do the garden won't really be much use - he could have done that even if he didn't live there!

You need proof that he actually resided there, did he not have his bank statements, mobile phone bills, etc, sent there during that time?

You also need to prove that you were more than just housemates during that time so things like joint insurance, wills naming each other as beneficiaries, both names on mortgage statement or rental agreement, joint bank account, and other proof that you are in a relationship rather than just sharing living space will be required.

Think of it from CIC's point of view - what's to say you weren't just living together as housemates/friends up until this month when you then got together and then decided to get joint account etc? Unless you can prove you were actually in a common-law relationship, then I'm afraid I think you'll probably have to wait until you've got at least one year of proof.

Depends on whether or not you're prepared to risk being rejected (and therefore losing the application fees) by applying earlier I guess!

Good luck.