Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Common Law Sponsorship - Need some help getting my head around it!

Common Law Sponsorship - Need some help getting my head around it!

Old Jun 15th 2011, 2:40 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Common Law Sponsorship - Need some help getting my head around it!

Hi All,

I've been reading the threads here for weeks but I do have a few questions. I apologise of some of this has been posted elsewhere, but I've been doing my best to find answers myself and still have a few grey areas I'm hoping you can help me out with.

Background: I'm Canadian, my boyfriend is British. We have been together 2.5 years, living together since March 2010 (just over a year now). We would be doing an outland application. I would be sponsoring him.

The Plan: We are planning on moving to Canada late 2012.

We have plenty of evidence that we've been living together at least a year - lease with both our names, utility bills in both names, joint bank accounts, plenty of photos from trips together.

My questions, and apologies in advance for the list!
  • I was planning on starting our application in November 2011, this year. We are hoping to move Autumn 2012; is Nov 2011 too early? (Or perhaps, too late?)
  • At what point in the process do we do the medical exam, as that is the largest time requirement (land within 12 months)?
  • Do we both have to have medical exams done, or just my boyfriend?
  • How many letters should we get from family/friends? Do they need to be notarised, or is them being written, signed, witnessed, and include contact information enough?
  • (Apologies in advance for the stupid question)... We both need criminal checks from any countries in which we have lived, correct?

I might have some other questions along the line... I've seen from most of the posts that applications are usually approved within a few months.

I suppose what I'm struggling to understand the most is the order in which things take place. I've read up quite a lot on it but sometimes it's a bit tough to untangle the jargon on CIC's website.

Any help you guys can give would be great! Thanks in advance!

Last edited by SchnookoLoly; Jun 15th 2011 at 2:52 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 5:43 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Common Law Sponsorship - Need some help getting my head around it!

I am sure someone will come along and answer these questions with experience. But as you are Canadian it makes no sense to me for you do a medical or need a criminal check as you can come to Canada on your Canadian passport without limitation.

My Canadian friend sponsured his partner and he provided as much evidence as possible.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 5:51 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the response - I read a few threads that made reference to "our medical checks" and "the medical checks for both of us" so that confused me. I didn't think I had to do one, but then I got all confuuuuuused.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

I will try and help

1. you do not need medical or police check, you are canadian they cannot stop you from returning to your own country.

2. He must get medical and police check BEFORE the application is mailed off.

3. Nov 2011 should be fine, most visa's come thru within 6 months provided CIC is happy with all the info and you do not forget to send anything. He must land from the time of getting visa to expiration date of medicals. As long as he lands to activate visa you can return to UK and finish any last minute moving or job details.

4. Yes he needs police check from each country he lived in for ...I believe it is 6 months, someone will correct my error if wrong.

Provide everything you have with both your names on it, photos of hols, we also sent boarding passes to prove we went on hols together. To much is better then not enough. Just double, triple check everything before mailing it out. Any questions don't hestitate to ask, better you get it right the first time. We also paid for the for everything when we applied as well.

We didn't notorize anything, but had tons of proof.

Hope this helps a bit
Old Jun 15th 2011, 5:58 pm
Concierge

THanks so much, this is a huge help!

One question: When does the medical check happen in the process of submitting all the forms etc? I get that the police check etc has to be done BEFORE you send the application off, but at what point do you do the medicals?

I know the medical check is only good for a year, so if we have to do it in Nov 2011 then that might not be great if we're planning on moving in Nov 2012, just in case anything gets delayed etc.

Otherwise, thanks for your answers, that helps a lot!!
Old Jun 15th 2011, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Allie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond repute

For this type of visa, he would have to have the medical before you send in the application. My husband had his done about a month before we sent our application to Mississauga.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 6:18 pm
LZA
Forum Regular

LZA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
THanks so much, this is a huge help!

One question: When does the medical check happen in the process of submitting all the forms etc? I get that the police check etc has to be done BEFORE you send the application off, but at what point do you do the medicals?

I know the medical check is only good for a year, so if we have to do it in Nov 2011 then that might not be great if we're planning on moving in Nov 2012, just in case anything gets delayed etc.

Otherwise, thanks for your answers, that helps a lot!!
Welcome!

You need to send the medical receipt with the application so this can be done anytime prior to sending the application but bearing in mind the timelines that you have - the medical is only valid for 12 months, so unfortunately if you surpass the 12 months a new medical will be required. Also, the police check certificate can only be 3 months old, something to watch also.

Here is what we sent out as statutory declaration:

UK
BOROUGH OF XXX
TO WIT:

I, XXX XXX, of XXX Lane, XXX in the borough of XXX, UK do solemnly declare as follows:

1) I am XXX and XXX family friend.

2) XXX and XXX have been involved in a genuine and continuing relationship since XX/XX/XXXX. XXX and XXX have been continuously living together since she arrived here in June XXXX.

I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing it to be true, and knowing that it is the same force and effect as if made under oath.

DECLARED BEFORE ME AT

XXX Lane, XXX

in the borough of XXX

THIS 25th DAY OF February,

______________________________ _____________________________
(Signature of Declarant)

Last edited by LZA; Jun 15th 2011 at 6:19 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Jun 15th 2011, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

davidkenley is a glorious beacon of lightdavidkenley is a glorious beacon of lightdavidkenley is a glorious beacon of lightdavidkenley is a glorious beacon of lightdavidkenley is a glorious beacon of lightdavidkenley is a glorious beacon of lightdavidkenley is a glorious beacon of lightdavidkenley is a glorious beacon of lightdavidkenley is a glorious beacon of lightdavidkenley is a glorious beacon of lightdavidkenley is a glorious beacon of light

My experience was that getting all the evidence and forms filled out took way longer than the police check and medical. I live in Canada, and it took a month to get the UK police check back (mailed to and from Canada), and the medical took about 2 minutes to organize, then a two hour appointment for the quick once over. It took us about 3 months from deciding it was time to do it, to putting it in mail.

I only had a couple of letters from friends and family, nothing notarized, but the advice me got was to include personal mail too, postcards addressed to the both of us, birthday cards from the "in laws" to each of us, etc. If you can get these so they are over a year old when you apply, then that's also good proof.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidkenley
the advice me got was to include personal mail too, postcards addressed to the both of us, birthday cards from the "in laws" to each of us, etc. If you can get these so they are over a year old when you apply, then that's also good proof.
Just a quick question regarding including personal mail etc. I have lots of this - Christmas cards, postcards, wedding invitations to us both...did you include the originals or photocopy them? Also, is it worth including cards we have sent to each other birthday, Valentine's etc, or do you think the cards from a third party hold more weight? I guess if they are originals then they don't send them back.....
Old Jun 16th 2011, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

davidkenley is a glorious beacon of lightdavidkenley is a glorious beacon of lightdavidkenley is a glorious beacon of lightdavidkenley is a glorious beacon of lightdavidkenley is a glorious beacon of lightdavidkenley is a glorious beacon of lightdavidkenley is a glorious beacon of lightdavidkenley is a glorious beacon of lightdavidkenley is a glorious beacon of lightdavidkenley is a glorious beacon of lightdavidkenley is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by victorfoxtrot
Just a quick question regarding including personal mail etc. I have lots of this - Christmas cards, postcards, wedding invitations to us both...did you include the originals or photocopy them? Also, is it worth including cards we have sent to each other birthday, Valentine's etc, or do you think the cards from a third party hold more weight? I guess if they are originals then they don't send them back.....
I just included the originals, I'm not a very sentimental person so that didn't bother me (I assume you don't get them back), but I'm sure photocopies are just as good. I don't know what holds more weight, maybe they don't even look at them, I just heard anecdotally that they were good to include. I had a pile of old cards and things that were thrown in a drawer so it wasn't much effort for me to add them to the relationship evidence bundle!