Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Common-law sponsorship: evidence of relationship

Common-law sponsorship: evidence of relationship

Old Mar 14th 2013, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

phasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Common-law sponsorship: evidence of relationship

Hi there,

Just thinking ahead of time. Me and my girlfriend have been together over 3 years now and have been living together in London for around 6 months. At the end of the year we plan to apply for my permanent residency through common-law sponsorship.

I have been researching this route over the past year or so and I just have a few questions about gathering evidence from people who have already done so.

We have plenty of evidence in terms of trips taken together, photos with both of us, including some with friends and family. We will have our lease, council tax payments and joint bank account statement for the year by the time we apply.

I was just wondering if it is possible to use facebook, email and skype logs as evidence, as this is how we primarily communicated whilst we were apart. If you can, how do you include them? Would we need to get them notorised to prove they are genuine?

Thanks,
Stephen
Old Mar 14th 2013, 12:22 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Common-law sponsorship: evidence of relationship

Originally Posted by phasee
Hi there,

Just thinking ahead of time. Me and my girlfriend have been together over 3 years now and have been living together in London for around 6 months. At the end of the year we plan to apply for my permanent residency through common-law sponsorship.

I have been researching this route over the past year or so and I just have a few questions about gathering evidence from people who have already done so.

We have plenty of evidence in terms of trips taken together, photos with both of us, including some with friends and family. We will have our lease, council tax payments and joint bank account statement for the year by the time we apply.

I was just wondering if it is possible to use facebook, email and skype logs as evidence, as this is how we primarily communicated whilst we were apart. If you can, how do you include them? Would we need to get them notorised to prove they are genuine?

Thanks,
Stephen
Is your girlfriend a Canadian citizen? If not what visa do you plan to get to acquire your PR status?
According to what you say you can produce documentation wise, you will not need Facebook/Skype logs or emails.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

phasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond repute

She's a Canadian citizen, yes.

We were in a long distance relationship for around 2 years, visiting each other for around 4-6 weeks when we could. I was in Canada for 6 months from April last year, then we moved to London together. It says to provide evidence of how you stayed in contact whilst apart, would this not mean we should include the logs? Or at least some examples of e-mails etc.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 2:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Thanks,
Stephen
Read section 5.26 of this manual or the manual itself and this will explain the procedures and how CIC assess common law relationships
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...p/op02-eng.pdf
Old Mar 14th 2013, 2:31 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Thanks,
Stephen
Lots of people use skype and email logs to show continued communication, most seem to take screenshots to show the headings/list of ongoing correspondence (or print off just the title/date lists) and then select a couple of emails/skype convo's for each month to print off to show complete content. Make sure there are none that could be misinterpreted and none that are too racy