Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Common law sponsorship and Employment Insurance

Wikiposts

Common law sponsorship and Employment Insurance

Old Sep 7th 2012, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

markstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to behold
Default Common law sponsorship and Employment Insurance

Hi all,

I've tried to find some info for this online but alas, no luck. Would appreciate any insight from those in the know!

My girlfriend is Canadian citizen and will be applying to sponsor me (British) under the Common Law programme. We're applying in mid October. Anyway, she is a teacher at a private school that employ all their staff on temporary contracts from Sept to June, and recommend that employees apply for social assistance during the months of July and August when they are not technically employed. Questions:

1. I am aware of the 3 year responsibility that my girlfriend will agree for me. Is she allowed to receive EI or will she promise not to for 3 years also? Or does this just apply to the sponsored?
2. Is she is allowed, it better to wait to apply for EI if you are still waiting on a decision on this visa?

We naturally don't want this issue to derail our application so any insights into this is appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Sep 7th 2012, 1:58 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Common law sponsorship and Employment Insurance

EI - or Employment Insurance - is not the same thing as Social Assistance so your girlfriend will be able to sponsor you and claim it whilst the sponsorship is going through.

EI is basically unemployment pay, the same as 'the dole' in the UK; Social Assistance (commonly known as 'welfare') is similar to Social Security - means tested and (here at least) only for those who are more-or-less destitute.

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 7th 2012 at 2:02 am.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

markstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by siouxie
EI - or Employment Insurance - is not the same thing as Social Assistance so your girlfriend will be able to sponsor you and claim it whilst the sponsorship is going through.

EI is basically unemployment pay, the same as 'the dole' in the UK; Social Assistance is similar to Social Security - means tested and (here at least) only for those who are more-or-less destitute.

Thanks for this! I didn't know there was a difference.

Out of interest, I have no idea whether she is eligible for Social Assistance or not and most likely not, but receiving that affect the application? I just want to cover all bases as I'm a bugger for details!
Old Sep 7th 2012, 2:41 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markstimson
Thanks for this! I didn't know there was a difference.

Out of interest, I have no idea whether she is eligible for Social Assistance or not and most likely not, but receiving that affect the application? I just want to cover all bases as I'm a bugger for details!
Your sponsor is not permitted to receive Social Assistance during the time of application to sponsor and it would affect the application.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...s/3900ETOC.asp

You may NOT sponsor if you…

receive social assistance for a reason other than disability