Common Law Sponsorship.

Old Jun 16th 2016, 1:22 am
Just Joined

Elsquigo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Common Law Sponsorship.

Hello community,

Seeking some advice on common law sponsorship for PR. I'm currently in Canada on 2 year IEC Visa, in 5 months time the partner and I have lived together a year, been together 3 years! By this point I'll still have 1 year left on my working visa! We've been collecting evidence but haven't decided on an Inland or Outland application. If we apply Outland it takes on average 10 months, I'm just concerned that it'll jump past the year and my IEC Visa will expire, with Outland is there anyway I can bridge the gap and legally work? Or is it best to just do Inland and apply for the work permit with it and wait longer?

I realize it's ultimately my decision and any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys and girls.
Old Jun 16th 2016, 1:11 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Common Law Sponsorship.

Hello!

I assume you have read the wiki article that outlines the pros and cons of inland vs outland.

As you say, outland is faster - London is averaging about 10-11 months, but if you are lucky enough to have your application go to Ottawa then the average is about 2-3 months. No way to tell which office will get your application, just luck of the draw.

There is no way to bridge the gap between your IEC expiring and getting your PR through if you apply outland - I'm sure you've read the wiki article and sticky on implied status coming off of an IEC visa. Unless you can convince your employer to apply for - and be approved for - an LMIA which would allow you to get a work permit then you'd have to stop working.

Inland might be an option for you, though. You'd get a work permit about 4ish months after your application is filed. It will take quite a bit longer for you to get your PR through - I think it's about 2ish years but I haven't checked processing time for inland recently - but if you have a work permit and are already in Canada then you might not mind waiting for PR. It would be strongly discouraged for you to travel outside of Canada in the first 4 months before you get your OWP, but after that travel should be fine.

Again, read through the wiki articles, that should help get you a bit more information, if you haven't already.

Hope that helps!
Old Jun 17th 2016, 1:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Common Law Sponsorship.

I think in your situation, I'd personally go inland to get the work permit, although normally I'd always advise outland. But as you're already there working, then an inland app with a TWP seems to make sense.

Good luck with it.