Common-Law sponsorship

Old Jun 30th 2010, 10:27 am
Just Joined

Sophie10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Common-Law sponsorship

Hi, I'm new to this forum but just wanted to get some 'peace of mind'...

Here's my story:
I met my Canadian fiancee almost 2 years ago when some friends of mine moved to his hometown. I took the plunge and came out here in Feb 2009 for 6 months to see how we got on, I had a work permit organised but didn't want to send it till I was sure. In May 2009 my work permit was sent off (through Bunac) and I flew home in July to pick it up.
I've been working ever since and my relationship with my fiancee is going fantastically well, best decision I've ever made and have never looked back.
We submitted my PR/Sponsorship application last week to the Vegreville Office, as we are applying Inland. I'm confident I enclosed everything (Xmas cards to both of us from both sides of the family, joint bills/banking/purchases, photos).

My concerns are:
1.The photos I submitted aren't really from trips (holidays), I'm not allowed to leave the country on my WP and he doesn't have a passport yet. I just sent everyday photos like fishing, horseriding trips, photos from last Xmas. Will they look at that and wonder why we haven't been on a 'real' trip?? I did explain the whole passport thing, and that he changed jobs so right now, a holiday is bottom of the list.

2. I am 24 and my fiancee is 37, neither of us have been married but would the age gap affect their decision?

3. My fiancee has an ex girlfriend (not common-law, just casual), she had a child and at the time she told him it was his and that she wanted to entrap him into living with her full time. She was an alcoholic and my fiancee used to help her out with her rent and stuff. She then decided she didn't want him around anymore (was getting money from somewhere else - never worked a day in her life so who knows where the money was coming from.) My fiancee wanted to arrange visitation and child support but she wasn't interested, she said he has no reason to be around as the child is not his. Will Immigration look into this? There's no proof right now whether the child is his or not, he has a different surname and for whatever reason the mother didn't want to go to court, nor does she want his money.

I'm worrying about everything right now, I want to continue making a life with my fiancee, we're going to buy a house this year and then we plan to get married next year (need to give my family time to save up to attend the wedding). I don't care how long it takes to get PR, I know Outland is quicker but I would wait 5yrs if it meant I could continue to live with my fiancee. We spent 2 weeks apart last year and I hated every minute of it. I just pray to God that the age difference doesn't affect it (so what if I like older men, it legal and perfectly normal!!) and I hope with all my heart we can stay together forever.

Last edited by Sophie10; Jun 30th 2010 at 10:34 am.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really nice
Default Re: Common-Law sponsorship

Originally Posted by Sophie10

My concerns are:
1.The photos I submitted aren't really from trips (holidays), I'm not allowed to leave the country on my WP and he doesn't have a passport yet. If you are on a BUNAC visa you can leave the country just so you know if you want to go on holidayI just sent everyday photos like fishing, horseriding trips, photos from last Xmas. Will they look at that and wonder why we haven't been on a 'real' trip?? I did explain the whole passport thing, and that he changed jobs so right now, a holiday is bottom of the list. The fact that you haven't been 'away' together shouldn't matter, the only trips my hubby and I have been on were to visit one another at eachother's homes.

2. I am 24 and my fiancee is 37, neither of us have been married but would the age gap affect their decision? Not sure about this one, I don't think so though.

3. My fiancee has an ex girlfriend (not common-law, just casual), she had a child and at the time she told him it was his and that she wanted to entrap him into living with her full time. She was an alcoholic and my fiancee used to help her out with her rent and stuff. She then decided she didn't want him around anymore (was getting money from somewhere else - never worked a day in her life so who knows where the money was coming from.) My fiancee wanted to arrange visitation and child support but she wasn't interested, she said he has no reason to be around as the child is not his. Will Immigration look into this? There's no proof right now whether the child is his or not, he has a different surname and for whatever reason the mother didn't want to go to court, nor does she want his money. It is quicker to apply outland and, if you apply for an extension of your visitor visa after BUNAC expires, you can still live with your fiancee while you are waiting. I applied outland and am still here in Ontario waiting for PR.We spent 2 weeks apart last year and I hated every minute of it. I just pray to God that the age difference doesn't affect it (so what if I like older men, it legal and perfectly normal!!) and I hope with all my heart we can stay together forever.
Don't worry too much about the age difference!
Old Jun 30th 2010, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Sophie10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for replying!!

I spoke to Immigration about 6 months ago and they said that I was not allowed to extend my work permit unless it's done through Sponsorship. Aparently because I got my WP through a programme (BUNAC), they only allow you to be in the country for 1 year.
I did send an Open Work permit app with my PR app, but as I applied inland it will take around 6months to get that (if we are approved *fingers crossed we will be*). I should be ok to stay here for the whole process... I hope.

How far along are you in the process?
Old Jun 30th 2010, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sophie10
Thanks for replying!!

I spoke to Immigration about 6 months ago and they said that I was not allowed to extend my work permit unless it's done through Sponsorship. Aparently because I got my WP through a programme (BUNAC), they only allow you to be in the country for 1 year.
I did send an Open Work permit app with my PR app, but as I applied inland it will take around 6months to get that (if we are approved *fingers crossed we will be*). I should be ok to stay here for the whole process... I hope.

How far along are you in the process?
Yup I got a BUNAC permit too, you can't extend your work permit but you can apply for a visitor's visa before your BUNAC one expires. You can't work on it though...but you can still apply outland. I am just waiting for London to accept my application. I too am ok to stay here through the process even though I'm applying outland! I guess it still could be six months for me though, sometimes it is though I hope it won't be! Did you already send it all?

Last edited by Lethe; Jun 30th 2010 at 3:15 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

Saya10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Age difference is one of the factors they look at. However it is more "socially acceptiable" for the man to be older than the woman. Basically they look for compatibility ie age, background, religion, education, etc. (But not limited to)

BUNAC is a mulit entry WP which allows you to travel in and out of Canada. No extentions but you can change your status to Visitor just before it expires.

I don't think the child (his or not) will have any impact.

And yes you can be in Canada and still apply outland.

Last edited by Saya10; Jul 2nd 2010 at 6:34 am. Reason: Additional Info
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

My friend was sponsored for PR by her common-law partner when they had lived together for a year while she was here on a BUNAC visa. She got her PR visa last October after a year in processing - she is nearly 26 now and her partner just turned 40. Age shouldn't be an issue, the issue is proving your common-law status and that your lives are intertwined - documents such as rental agreement, joint bank account, photos (where doesn't matter), and they also sent notarised statements from friends and family about their relationship.

Good luck