Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Common Law Sponsor inside Canada questions

Common Law Sponsor inside Canada questions

Old Aug 23rd 2022, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Drunkarchaeologist is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Common Law Sponsor inside Canada questions

Hi all, so probably as some of you know me and my fiancee have been applying for a common law spousal sponsorship outside of Canada. And well after 4 months it got returned due to not adding my father's address down, so obviously this was so frustrating as it happened the day before we were due to head to Canada to see family.

Anyway I'm in Canada now and we both had a meeting at a local Immigration Welcome Centre yesterday to go over some questions we had. So turns out we have to completely re-do all the forms again as we both have new jobs and address and for me to apply for a new in-date Accro Police Check form.

So the very kind lady in the welcome centre, who is also an Immigration consultant in her other job gave us lots of good advice. One bit of which, was the possibility of us applying for sponsorship from within Canada which the waiting time is 15 months instead of 24 months. And then applying for an open work permit which can take 6 - 8 months.

So this is actually something we are seriously considering as luckily my fiancee has a good family here and they are going to be putting us up rent free till all the process is done. So I know that was a very long winded post, but wanted to give some background towards it all.

So really my question is that if we go for this option, I'll basically have to rely on my fiancee and her family for finance for the 6 - 8 months till I get my work permit. So in those 6 - 8 months can I say get an online work from home job? Obviously not for a Canadian company but either for a UK company or a global one in general? Or would this nit be allowed?

Again sorry for the very long winded post

Thanks
Drunkarchaeologist
Old Aug 24th 2022, 3:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Common Law Sponsor inside Canada questions

Typically, inland applications usually take much longer than outland (about double the time). That's changed now, but only because of Covid and the restrictions on travel, I'd expect it to flip back around at some point fairly soon.

Bear in mind other negatives of an inland app too, the main one being that you have no right to appeal (whereas you do with an outland app) and can't leave Canada without abandoning the application and having to start again, which could be an issue in a family emergency etc. More details on Outland v Inland are in the Wiki.

But yes, you can do a job as long as it's not 'entering the Canadian market' i.e. working for a Canadian company or taking a job that a Canadian would do.

HTH.
Old Aug 24th 2022, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Typically, inland applications usually take much longer than outland (about double the time). That's changed now, but only because of Covid and the restrictions on travel, I'd expect it to flip back around at some point fairly soon.

Bear in mind other negatives of an inland app too, the main one being that you have no right to appeal (whereas you do with an outland app) and can't leave Canada without abandoning the application and having to start again, which could be an issue in a family emergency etc. More details on Outland v Inland are in the Wiki.

But yes, you can do a job as long as it's not 'entering the Canadian market' i.e. working for a Canadian company or taking a job that a Canadian would do.

HTH.
Oh really? The lady at the Immigration centre said inland applications are currently taking around 15 months to process, says the same when I looked at the processing times on the Canadian Government Website, but is that only sped up because of Covid? As that makes no sense since everything else is super back dated.Yeah is risky not being able to leave, a risk I think I'm willing to take, one that we'll have to talk over before we take the decision. Thanks for clearing up the online work question, also something I'll have to look into. We'll have to talk over this all before we decide anything, thanks again for your help
Old Aug 25th 2022, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

What would be classed as a refusal? Like say we get something wrong on the forms or forget to add something like we did with the outland sponsor forms, would that be classed as a refusal, or could we change the bits we missed and send it back? Sorry we're just seriously considering this routw, as obviously my fiancee is really home sick, so the option for me to be in Canada with her whilst this processes, not matter how long it takes is very appealing to her.

Thanks again
Drunkarchaeologist
Old Sep 2nd 2022, 8:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Drunkarchaeologist
What would be classed as a refusal? Like say we get something wrong on the forms or forget to add something like we did with the outland sponsor forms, would that be classed as a refusal, or could we change the bits we missed and send it back? Sorry we're just seriously considering this routw, as obviously my fiancee is really home sick, so the option for me to be in Canada with her whilst this processes, not matter how long it takes is very appealing to her.

Thanks again
Drunkarchaeologist
I totally get that, although you do know that you could be with her with an Outland application as well? As it's dual intent.

If you are given the chance to resubmit forms then that wouldn't be a refusal, but if it was refused completely and you had to start again, then yes, that would be a refusal.
Old Sep 2nd 2022, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

I totally get that, although you do know that you could be with her with an Outland application as well? As it's dual intent.

If you are given the chance to resubmit forms then that wouldn't be a refusal, but if it was refused completely and you had to start again, then yes, that would be a refusal.
Oh ok cool, with applying Outland I could stay with her inside Canda? Could I still apply for the Open work permit? As that's something that is appealing to us, as means I can work, even if it's just at McDonald's till the visa is done. Also one last question about applying from inland, say it does get refused (hopefully it doesn't) can we start the application again? Or is it like a one time thing, or like can't apply again for x amount of time?

Cheers
Drunkarchaeologist
Old Sep 2nd 2022, 3:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Drunkarchaeologist
Oh ok cool, with applying Outland I could stay with her inside Canda? Could I still apply for the Open work permit? As that's something that is appealing to us, as means I can work, even if it's just at McDonald's till the visa is done. Also one last question about applying from inland, say it does get refused (hopefully it doesn't) can we start the application again? Or is it like a one time thing, or like can't apply again for x amount of time?
It might be worth having another read of the Wiki articles about spousal sponsorship so you can work out inland v outland, and dual intent etc? You can't apply for an open work permit with an outland app, I thought you were going to work remotely but if not then it may not be feasible then.

And if your outland app is refused, you could apply again but you'd have to leave Canada so would be back to square one.

HTH.
Old Sep 2nd 2022, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

It might be worth having another read of the Wiki articles about spousal sponsorship so you can work out inland v outland, and dual intent etc? You can't apply for an open work permit with an outland app, I thought you were going to work remotely but if not then it may not be feasible then.

And if your outland app is refused, you could apply again but you'd have to leave Canada so would be back to square one.

HTH.
Oh right, yeah sorry, I was going to try and find online remote work via a UK Company whilst I wait for the Open Work Permit, as the lady at the welcome centre said they can take between 6 - 8 months at the moment. So I was planning on trying to work online till I get the work permit, then I'd get a job in Canada. Yeah we'll have a look at the options between inland or outland with dual intent
Old Sep 3rd 2022, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Bear in mind you can only apply online for the spouse application from September 23. No more paper applications.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2022/08/transitioning-to-online-applications-for-permanent-residence.html
Old Sep 3rd 2022, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Bear in mind you can only apply online for the spouse application from September 23. No more paper applications.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...residence.html
Oh ok cool, that's good to know, I don't know why it wasn't all online anyway, so much simpler and no rushing out to buy ink hahaha