Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Common Law Sponsor Application - A Few Questions

Common Law Sponsor Application - A Few Questions

Old Mar 8th 2017, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

olideans is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Common Law Sponsor Application - A Few Questions

Hello all,

I have a few small questions which are numbered below. These are things I could not find the answer to in the CIC guides or in Schnookaloly's guide and so thought I would ask separately:

1. Generic Application Form: Dependants - my Canadian common-law partner (who is also my sponsor) lives with me here in the UK and has just got Indefinite Leave to Remain status. What category do I put down as her status here: Permanent Resident, Visitor, or Other and type 'Indefinite Leave to Remain'?

2. Generic Application Form: Dependants - National Identity Document - If my partner had (a Canadian) one but it is now expired, should we try and get it renewed? Should we put down the details of the old one? Or answer 'No'?

3. Generic Application Form: Language Test - Is the language test a mandatory part of the application (we are both native English speakers)? And if so, when and how should I take it?

4. Application to Sponsor Form: Q.1. Withdraw application or Continue with Permanent Residence: Which of these options is the best to put down? What are the ramifications of each?

5. (This is the one I'm most confused about) Checklist: Are the only supporting documents I need to provide those mentioned at the end of the checklist? Neither of us has to provide bank statements or certificates of education or anything like that? I feel like I'm missing something. I feel like this isn't very much stuff to send in, and I don't want to find out I have missed out on an entire section of evidence.

6. I was born in NZ but lived my whole life in the UK. The additional information guide says there is nothing extra to include for either of these countries, but should I supply a copy of my NZ passport? I have said in the Generic Application Form that I have citizenship for both countries. I don't have a current NZ passport, but I could get one if it's necessary.

I think that's it for now. Thanks in advance for your help and sorry for the annoying questions.

Oli.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Common Law Sponsor Application - A Few Questions

Originally Posted by olideans
1. Generic Application Form: Dependants - my Canadian common-law partner (who is also my sponsor) lives with me here in the UK and has just got Indefinite Leave to Remain status. What category do I put down as her status here: Permanent Resident, Visitor, or Other and type 'Indefinite Leave to Remain'?

Permanent resident, that is what they are (I am in a similar position, I too have indefinite leave to remain, so I am a British PR)

2. Generic Application Form: Dependants - National Identity Document - If my partner had (a Canadian) one but it is now expired, should we try and get it renewed? Should we put down the details of the old one? Or answer 'No'?

Personally, I would include details of the old one, attach a copy and explain that it has lapsed and as the sponsor is a PR of the UK, has not needed and therefore not bothered to obtain a replacement.

3. Generic Application Form: Language Test - Is the language test a mandatory part of the application (we are both native English speakers)? And if so, when and how should I take it?

The generic application form is just that, generic, which is to say generic to a number of different visa streams. A language test is not necessary for spousal sponsorship. Just answer 'No' to have you taken a test.

4. Application to Sponsor Form: Q.1. Withdraw application or Continue with Permanent Residence: Which of these options is the best to put down? What are the ramifications of each?

Bit of a nonsense question this. So if your sponsor is found to be ineligible to sponsor you do you want them to proceed anyway and keep all your money, or do you want them to refund your money less $75. Not a hard one to answer I wouldn't have thought (given your sponsor is Canadian, the chances of them being ineligible is minimal!)

5. (This is the one I'm most confused about) Checklist: Are the only supporting documents I need to provide those mentioned at the end of the checklist? Neither of us has to provide bank statements or certificates of education or anything like that? I feel like I'm missing something. I feel like this isn't very much stuff to send in, and I don't want to find out I have missed out on an entire section of evidence.

If you go by the checklist, then you won't be going wrong! Certainly don't need to bother about certificates of education. If you have already fulfilled the requirement for joint documents, then there is no need for joint bank statements. The new pack is deliberately streamlined, stick with what they ask you and the official CIC completion guide and you will not go wrong.

6. I was born in NZ but lived my whole life in the UK. The additional information guide says there is nothing extra to include for either of these countries, but should I supply a copy of my NZ passport? I have said in the Generic Application Form that I have citizenship for both countries. I don't have a current NZ passport, but I could get one if it's necessary.

Not necessary. They have already asked for a copy of your birth cert and you have sent them copies of all current passports - that is fine. If there is space, you might want to comment that youi did have a NZ passport as well as a UK one, but this has now lapsed and you have no plans to renew.

I think that's it for now. Thanks in advance for your help and sorry for the annoying questions.

Hope this helps. Try not to overthink things too much. Follow the checklist like a bible, use the CIC completion guide and the wiki guide here and you won't go wrong!
Old Mar 8th 2017, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Bit of a nonsense question this. So if your sponsor is found to be ineligible to sponsor you do you want them to proceed anyway and keep all your money, or do you want them to refund your money less $75. Not a hard one to answer I wouldn't have thought
Ahem... Good point

(given your sponsor is Canadian, the chances of them being ineligible is minimal!)
Given my sponsor is a Winnipegger, I think she will be even LESS inclined to waste money than any other person.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

Hope this helps. Try not to overthink things too much. Follow the checklist like a bible, use the CIC completion guide and the wiki guide here and you won't go wrong!
This helps a lot! Very concise. Thank you very much!
I am very prone to overthinking, but I will heed your advice and follow the checklist like a b̶i̶b̶l̶e̶ non-denominational sacred text (trying to get into the Canadian way of thinking).

Thanks again,
Oli.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Given my sponsor is a Winnipegger, I think she will be even LESS inclined to waste money than any other person.

I guess you haven't met Newfies yet then
Old Mar 8th 2017, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

I guess you haven't met Newfies yet then
Uh oh, they like a good coupon too, do they?
Old Mar 8th 2017, 11:35 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

Oli.
Hurlabrick has answered all your questions well, but I'm not so sure he's right on this one. Your partner is a Canadian citizen and, under the new rules around the ETA, must re-enter Canada (if by air) using a Canadian passport.

I'd suggest renewing it.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Hurlabrick has answered all your questions well, but I'm not so sure he's right on this one. Your partner is a Canadian citizen and, under the new rules around the ETA, must re-enter Canada (if by air) using a Canadian passport.

I'd suggest renewing it.
Thanks Novocastrian,

Sorry, didn't make that clear: She has a Canadian passport, but she does not have a valid Canadian ID. Is that something that every Canadian has to have? She told me she only originally got it (when still living in Canada) because she doesn't have a drivers licence.
So, yeah, this question refers specifically to any national ID card that Canadians should have.

Thanks,
Oli.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 11:47 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Novocastrian,

Sorry, didn't make that clear: She has a Canadian passport, but she does not have a valid Canadian ID. Is that something that every Canadian has to have? She told me she only originally got it (when still living in Canada) because she doesn't have a drivers licence.
So, yeah, this question refers specifically to any national ID card that Canadians should have.

Thanks,
Oli.
Ah, OK. No problem with a lapsed ID.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

I'd suggest renewing it.

Ooops - sorry. I got it into my head that you were talking about a lapsed NZ passport for yourself - RTFQ huh?!

Yes, she must get a new Canadian passport. Not such a pain as it was before as you can now get 10 year passports!
Old Mar 9th 2017, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

Ooops - sorry. I got it into my head that you were talking about a lapsed NZ passport for yourself - RTFQ huh?!

Yes, she must get a new Canadian passport. Not such a pain as it was before as you can now get 10 year passports!
Ha ha. I asked a separate question about a NZ passport for me (which you answered. Thanks.), but I also asked this question about a Canadian ID card for my sponsor (actually you answered this one too). She has a current Canadian passport, but her Canadian ID card is expired. The question was, is the latter something that is essential to have renewed? But Novocastrian said that no, it isn't.
So, I guess, RTFA too...

Cheers.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Ha ha. I asked a separate question about a NZ passport for me (which you answered. Thanks.), but I also asked this question about a Canadian ID card for my sponsor (actually you answered this one too). She has a current Canadian passport, but her Canadian ID card is expired. The question was, is the latter something that is essential to have renewed? But Novocastrian said that no, it isn't.
So, I guess, RTFA too...

Cheers.

Aaaahhh!

Pretty sure (but not certain) that she does not need a current Canadian ID card. If she has a current passport, then that is fine, she can (and must) fly into Canada on that passport.

I know of a couple of Canadians who were in the UK for a while, and while in the UK, their Canadian drivers licences expired (temp military posting, so didn't need to exchange for a UK licence).

They just drove around on that until they got back to Canada and renewed it there. Probably not legally correct, but when stopped by the police once, the look on the officers face when he saw a Canadian licence was priceless - I am not sure he was even holding it up the right way!
Old Mar 9th 2017, 12:29 am
Born again atheist

So, I guess, RTFA too...

Cheers.
I don't think it's even possible to renew a provincial ID card when resident abroad.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 2:12 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

You've had all your questions answered here, just chiming in to point you towards the FAQ, which is in my and Hurl's signatures. It should help with other questions you have as well.

And adding my +1 that the passport is sufficient.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 7:18 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Ah, OK. No problem with a lapsed ID.

1. What they are asking for is a National Identity document, only some countries issue them, Canada does not. E.g. India and Pakistan do. You can determine which countries have them here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ies_by_country