Common law sponser for PR

Old Jan 9th 2017, 4:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Common law sponser for PR

Originally Posted by Pearfish
Thank you. I think you are right. It seems that they treat it as a renewal rather than a fresh application. When she applied her passport came back within two weeks it had not letters with it just a passport in an envelope with a Permanent Resident travel permit inside. Would it be ok for me just to travel to see her on my months off and work overseas or will this hurt our case for my application? Sorry for all the questions but I have never had to do anything like this before and the embassy website is pretty useless at explaining any of this. It makes me wonder how people without English as a first language even manage to complete the forms.
OK, so it seems she hasn't actually applied for PR! She's just retained it under H&C grounds.

The Embassy website isn't what you should be looking at for info, only the CIC website, which does have a guide for each form. Admittedly it's probably not great for those that don't speak English very well, but the form guides are step by step and pretty clear for those that do tbh.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 4:45 am
Just Joined

Pearfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
OK, so it seems she hasn't actually applied for PR! She's just retained it under H&C grounds.

The Embassy website isn't what you should be looking at for info, only the CIC website, which does have a guide for each form. Admittedly it's probably not great for those that don't speak English very well, but the form guides are step by step and pretty clear for those that do tbh.

Thank you again.

OK so having spoken to my GF you are correct they reinstated her previous PR under H&C grounds so it wasn't an application. I'm guessing now once she is in Canada and has 'landed', once she receives her PR I can apply and have her sponsor me.

Thanks again and sorry for all the confusion. She's not the best at explaining things to me.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Permanent residents can only sponsor if living in Canada and if they comply with their residency obligation. As there is some complexity with your partner's situation, I'd still recommend seeing a professional before submitting a spousal application to ensure you get it right/minimize the risk of further complications.

As well, she isn't landing in Canada as such because she is already a PR (and has always been one). I think what you mean is once she gets back to Canada and is living there again (but see my point in the first two lines).

Last edited by Snowy560; Jan 9th 2017 at 4:55 am.