Common Law/Police Checks/Medical

Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

sconehead will become famous soon enoughsconehead will become famous soon enough
Default Common Law/Police Checks/Medical

Come November my Canadian girlfriend and I will be applying for a common law sponsorship (outland) and we have a few questions!

I will applying for my police checks from England and also Australia as I backpacked there for 1 year. Once i've filled out both police check applications the results get sent back to me right? Someone told me the results get sent onto the visa processing office, is that right? That would seem odd to me because if that were the case the visa office would be receive my police check results long before my common law application.
Same goes for my medical.

I ask this because i'd ideally like to have both my police checks and medical done by 1st november so my girlfriend has everything ready to send off before i go back home while its processing.

Hope this makes sense!
Cheers everyone
Old Sep 8th 2009, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Kynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really nice
Default Re: Common Law/Police Checks/Medical

it should be sent to you. You need to include the police checks and the receipt from your medical WITH your application (see the Document Checklist that comes with teh outland sponsorship app).
Old Sep 8th 2009, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

brummi is on a distinguished road

Mine were sent to me. I got checks from both UK and Canada. The UK police check was through ACRO and cost me $160. Afterwards, when I did the Canada Police check for $45, the lady there told me about an International Police check which I could have done instead. It might be worth you investigating this option to save some money.

The only other thing to consider is the timeframe. Make sure your police check will be valid by the time the residency application is received because if it's out of date you'll have to get another one and pay again. The timeframe is 3 months.

WRT the medicals, you must have them done before applying for PR and they get sent to the CIC office dealing with the PR application. Mine (apparently) have been sent to London UK as I applied Outland. They are kept on file and matched up with the residency application when it arrives. The validity timeframe for medicals is 12 months from the x-ray date.

I hope this helps and if I'm wrong on any of these points I'm sure a professional will be along to set us straight

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress

Last edited by brummi; Sep 8th 2009 at 3:05 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

ESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really nice

Follow the CIC instructions to get the police certificates for the countries you require. For Australia, you need to send fingerprints to the AFP and they send the record to the appropriate visa office.

Because the police certificates have limited validity it is normal to send that request at about the time you send your PR application.

Note that getting the fingerprints will be a bit of an exercise.

Time your medical to be just before you send your PR app. In normal circumstances your PR visa will be valid for a year from the date of your medical.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

bflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura about

My police cert request was rec on the 17th of August and I still dont have it back...

Does anyone have an idea of what is happening, I have called and was told it has been posted sincelast thursday........

getting worried.......
Old Sep 9th 2009, 5:36 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

HI

Originally Posted by ESarge
Follow the CIC instructions to get the police certificates for the countries you require. For Australia, you need to send fingerprints to the AFP and they send the record to the appropriate visa office.

Because the police certificates have limited validity it is normal to send that request at about the time you send your PR application.

Note that getting the fingerprints will be a bit of an exercise.

Time your medical to be just before you send your PR app. In normal circumstances your PR visa will be valid for a year from the date of your medical.
You should note that the OP is applying under family class and the police certificates have to accompany the application to Mississauga. In their case, they should have the Australian send it to them rather to Sydney, where they normally send them.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

sconehead will become famous soon enoughsconehead will become famous soon enough

Thanks everyone for helping clear that up!