Common law partners + other q

Old Feb 4th 2005, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

Mary is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Common law partners + other q

This may be a slightly unusual question, but hope someone can give me some ideas before I apply for the skilled worker visa and mess it up..
My boyfriend and I are planning to apply as common law partners, to hopefully become Canadian resident is 2007 or later.
Well, I currently have been working on a Caribbean Island for the past 2 months, he has been here as a “visitor� we live together here.
Will this satisfy the common law bit? I am a resident here, he is still officially a resident in the UK, he cannot legally be a resident here
I will be the main applicant.
If we apply in the next 4 month, will I still need a police certificate for this island as I will have been here less than 6 months?
Finally, as I am officially a resident of an island, who do I give my application to??? London?

Thank you!!
Old Feb 4th 2005, 7:12 pm
Faire de la *fluff fluff*

Fluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Common law partners + other q

In order to prove you have a common-law marriage, you must both prove that you LIVE together at the same address and that you have done so for more than a 12-month period.
This can either be in the form of some partner status which also shows that you have been living together at the same address.
But you cna also apply for conjugal status - see the CIC guide as to what that all entails.
I suggest you get working on that now - as proving it otherwise may be difficult and it looks like you will have to put the move on hold, especially if you need to prove your relationship AND show the 12 month living period.
Fluffy
Old Feb 4th 2005, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Mary is an unknown quantity at this point

We were living together for over one year prior to living here, and we have only been here 2 months?
Would they take our time together before?
Old Feb 4th 2005, 7:45 pm
Faire de la *fluff fluff*

Fluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Mary
We were living together for over one year prior to living here, and we have only been here 2 months?
Would they take our time together before?

Only if you can prove it! (ie: same address or both registered at the same address in your municipality, bills sent to the both of you at the same address from 12 months ago.... does that help?