Common Law Partner question

Old Jul 30th 2009, 5:59 pm
Jedi

andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I've met a girl....what to do?

Bullet proof pre-nup, hitched in vegas, job done.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 7:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by landrau
I don't agree, i think it would make for a wonderful society.

Someone who harbours extreme right/left wing views, homophobic, racist, will be let in ityhout question if they are say, a doctor. Isn't there something inherently wrong about that? Also, these 'borders' don't actually exist either, we've created them.
No, if they harbour those kind of views then it'll come up in background/criminal checks and they'll be refused entry.

Canada has got to have minimum requirements, or they'd end up with the dregs of society bumming around and living off the state! The whole point of it is that immigrants bring something of value to the country they are moving to.

And of course, for others there are other routes such as investor (for those with no formal qualifications but who have worked hard and saved money), TWP (no minimum education requirements etc), Bunac (for those who are young and don't yet have the experience to qualify as a Skilled Worker), NS CIS (for those who don't qualify under other streams but will contribute to Canadian society), etc.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 8:05 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

How long did you have to wait for the green light after you submitted the application Bristol?
The "In Canada" application we made took around two years I think. But for external applications in married cases, it's supposed to be about six months.

I do believe there's no reason why you can't apply externally, even though you are physically in ("visiting") Canada. If it's not done by the time your 6 months are up, one renewal of the visitor visa should be enough.

Some people have suggested if an interview was needed, it might be arranged in the UK, but I don't see why it couldn't be done here; It's not unreasonable to come and stay with your wife for a bit as a visitor. CIC might be error prone sometimes but I don't suppose they are heartless.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

landrau is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe i'll ask for her hand in marriage, seems a whole lot easier. She's someone who i want to be with, it doesn't really matter anymore that she's from Canada
Old Jul 30th 2009, 11:11 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

There's another advantage we haven't mentioned about the sponsorship. I don't think anyone did anyway.

The sponsor normally has to show an income (set levels) so as to assume financial responsibility for the person being sponsored.

But not when they're married.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 11:23 pm
Just Joined

Ahhhh, she's a student at the moment so she doesn't have an income. Would that matter? She gets a few grants though
Old Jul 31st 2009, 3:20 am
Oscar nominated

Ahhhh, she's a student at the moment so she doesn't have an income. Would that matter? She gets a few grants though
Not if you were married. It would if you weren't. That's why it suddenly occured to me.

They want details of how a sponsor will support the sponsored person, but they don't if they are married.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 7:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Just as a thought, if you are both so young and not ready for marriage, could she do a working holiday visa in the UK when she's finished uni? That way you could both live together for a year in the UK, and then she could sponsor you as her common-law partner after that year and you could return to Canada.

Just an idea anyway.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

I was just thinking of that! We discussed last night the possibility of teaching abroad for a year that way she can sponsor me as the common law partner. I take it the 12 month period does not have to be in Canada?
Old Jul 31st 2009, 2:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I was just thinking of that! We discussed last night the possibility of teaching abroad for a year that way she can sponsor me as the common law partner. I take it the 12 month period does not have to be in Canada?
Can be anywhere, so if you lived together for a year in the UK (or even another country if you fancied it) then she could then sponsor you. Just make sure you get plenty of proof.

Sounds like a good plan to me, good luck.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

dee8479 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Thought i'd post just to see if anyone has experienced or knows anybody who has encountered a situation like mine.
I'm on a 1 year work visa (been here 9 months) that cannot be renewed. while working here i've met someone, and without getting all sentimental, let's say we like each other very much. So much that i don't want to leave her. However getting a another visa looks tricky. Would really appreciate any advice anyone has, i don't want to leave her!
Hello there i wish you guys the very best,well i happen to be in the same situation as you,just that this time i have fallen in love with Canada i moved from the Uk Jan 09 using the Bunac Visa ( which we can not renew) i have till Jan 2010 to sort myself out and to be honest i really do not want to move back to the Uk. I work for a company for like 4mths and i dnt see them renewing my contract or keeping me full time,so i have started looking at other options, so am thinking you should try this as well. Provincial Nominee Programme,you might end up in a boring province,but at least you have your girl. i wish you the very best
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

Hey thanks mate, and i wish you all the best in your plan to stay

We're thinking of both going to teach in Asia for a year, that way we can get some experience, live in and experience a different culture and after a year together she can then sponsor me to be a permanent resident. Because she hasn't completed her degree yet we might have to get her a tesol certificate in the meantime.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 5:52 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Run while you still have the chance!
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

Default Common Law Partner question

I am in Canada on a one year Bunac visa and have met my girlfriend there. Rather than go through the skilled worker or TWP routes (due to a very high chance of me being rejected) we are considering going to teach in asia for a year, live together and then apply under the common law partner. My girlfriend has been asking people she knows who work close with immigration and say lots of people get rejected even after living together for a year. Would we have a problem?

Is it just a matter of collecting enough proof? We also have lots of proof we knew each other before we leave for asia (photos, msn convos etc) Any help would be appreciated
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 4:46 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Common Law Partner question

I doubt if a "lot" of people are rejected. If the couple lived together for at least a year and if they have documentation showing their commitment to each other then it is the easiest way to get PR for the foreign partner.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.