Common-law partner question

Old Jun 4th 2004, 8:50 am
Just Joined

baursak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Common-law partner question

Hi,

If I include my girlfriend on my application (skilled-worker) as a common-law partner (we're living together) and we get married while application is in process, will it be necessary to update her status? If so, how long of a delay would an update like this usually create?

Also, as I understand, spouses and common-law partners are pretty much the same for the pursposes of Canadian immigration, except that the latter is harder to prove?

Thanks a lot!
Old Jun 4th 2004, 9:06 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Common-law partner question

There will be no impact at all if you get married during the process, although update of status will be necessary. Providing of course that you can apply now with her as common-law spouse - in order to be able to do that you must prove that you are already cohabiting together in conjugal relationship (like husband and wife) for at least 12 months.

Originally posted by baursak
Hi,

If I include my girlfriend on my application (skilled-worker) as a common-law partner (we're living together) and we get married while application is in process, will it be necessary to update her status? If so, how long of a delay would an update like this usually create?

Also, as I understand, spouses and common-law partners are pretty much the same for the pursposes of Canadian immigration, except that the latter is harder to prove?

Thanks a lot!
Old Jun 4th 2004, 9:22 am
Just Joined

baursak is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Sir, you are very helpful!

Yes, we are living together more than 12 months.

I assume to prove that, a rental agreement (lease) in both our names would sufficient?

P.S. What a sane country!
Old Jun 4th 2004, 11:30 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

It may not be enough - you need to show more. Rental agreement may have your both names even if you are roommates. You need to show that you are living together in conjugal relationship.

Utility bills, bank accounts, credit cards, etc. in both names will also be helpful to show that you are really living together.

Then there is a statutory declaration of common-law union that must be sworn and signed before someone who can take the oath, then you need statutory declarations or sworn statements from family and friends confirming your relationship, etc.

Originally posted by baursak
Thank you Sir, you are very helpful!

Yes, we are living together more than 12 months.

I assume to prove that, a rental agreement (lease) in both our names would sufficient?

P.S. What a sane country!