Common law partner

Old Apr 13th 2011, 6:53 am
Just Joined

uk1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Common law partner

I am hoping to enter Canada under a temp working permit later on this year, I have all the Job side sorted but I am a bit unsure of a couple of items regarding my common law partner joining me.

As I am aware I need to present my info on arrival at the port of entry where I will be issued a permit, and my partner can also apply for an open visa issued for the same period as mine.
This is where I am slightly concerned, as I have been looking at the declaration form and we seem to be lacking some good information to support out relationship proof.

Basically we have been living together in the UK for the last 2 years, the rent agreement and bills are all in my name. we both have individual information i.e bank statements, individual bills but nothing together.

I am fully aware of why all this info is required but I am concerned as this is a genuine case.

Can I get declaration the form signed off prior to leaving the UK or does it all need to be sorted at port of entry.

Any help is much appreciated
Old Apr 13th 2011, 7:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Common law partner

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Originally Posted by uk1234
I am hoping to enter Canada under a temp working permit later on this year, I have all the Job side sorted
Congrats on the job offer. What is the job, does it definitely qualify for your partner getting a work permit as well? (not all do). And do you already have the LMO?

Basically we have been living together in the UK for the last 2 years, the rent agreement and bills are all in my name. we both have individual information i.e bank statements, individual bills but nothing together.
What about other stuff i.e. joint bank account, joint household insurance, car insurance with each other as named drivers, wills naming each other as beneficiaries (ditto for life insurance) etc? Basically you need to prove that you are in a 'marriage like' relationship rather than just living as housemates.

You can also get a 'Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union' done - info on the CIC website.

Of course, sod's law is that you won't even be asked for any of the above at POE (they don't always with TWP applications), but better to be prepared just in case!

HTH, good luck.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 7:19 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply.

The job is in construction management and I have a recruitment expert sorting out the details with the employer ( obviously at a large fee)

But the one thing they can't sort out is this issue to do with my partner.

We literally have nothing with both our names on, the only thing we have is individual bills sent to the same flat.

Can I sort this out prior to leaving or does it need to be completed at port of entry. Do people get knocked back for this type of thing
Old Apr 13th 2011, 9:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

The job is in construction management and I have a recruitment expert sorting out the details with the employer ( obviously at a large fee)
They're not charging you the 'large fee' though are they? Because that would be very unusual, and probably illegal depending on what province they're in. They should only be charging the employer.

Also, I'd be a bit concerned about the fact that a 'recruitment expert' is sorting the immigration side of things for you, as they will not be authorised/licensed and may not have up to date knowledge of CIC/HRSDC requirements. Most employers do the LMO application themselves (it's free, and a fairly simple form), but if they do require help then will your employer not hire an immigration lawyer/consultant? At least then you'd know they'd be getting correct advice, particularly with so many LMO's being refused at the moment.

Can I sort this out prior to leaving or does it need to be completed at port of entry.
It needs to be sorted before you leave, or you risk her not being allowed entry to Canada. Do you really have nothing, none of the stuff I've listed above? I'd be amazed if you've lived together for two years but not had any of it?

Sorry, but that could mean she can't accompany you. It just depends on whether you are asked to prove your common-law status or not, but if you are, and you have nothing, then she could be refused. Definitely get the Statutory Dec done (and notarised), but the more proof you can provide the better. How about things like booking info from holidays or photos?
Old Apr 13th 2011, 9:20 am
Just Joined

Thanks again for the info, the employment expert is only doing the employment side and advising the employer on steps to take, I am happy with all of that side of things.

If I acquire a declaration form can someone in the uk sign it off and I take it over to Poe, or does it need to be approved by the cic first?

My plan was to go to Poe and get my work permit and an open visa for my partner.

Do you think I should get everything approved before leaving? I assume through the cic
Old Apr 13th 2011, 9:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Ah, I see. As long as you're not paying anything, unfortunately there are some dodgy companies out there and we've had so many people on this forum who have been ripped off.

You'd need to get the statutory declaration notarised, so that would have to be done before you go. But if you aren't starting the job until later this year, I think I'd just apply via London now if I were you. It only takes 6-8 weeks, but then at least you'd know whether everything was ok before you go.

Good luck.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 9:36 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the info
Old Apr 13th 2011, 3:45 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Can I just interject

When I came over way back when - I didn't have anything joint with my then partner either - so I just got everything from the date I moved in - bills in my name, doctors regstration card, car insurance, bank statements, photos of us both, birthday / christmas cards to each other basically proving that we were not just 'roomies'.

Worked for us