Common law partner

Old Sep 9th 2010, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Irri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Common law partner

What sort of visas would be available for my girlfriend if she applied as a common law partner. Would she be able to work?
Old Sep 9th 2010, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Kynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really nice
Default Re: Common law partner

Originally Posted by Irri
What sort of visas would be available for my girlfriend if she applied as a common law partner. Would she be able to work?
I think you're going to need to provide more information...are you Canadian? Do you meet the definition of common-law (living together for at least 365 days continuous in a marriage-like relationship with sufficient proof to show said relationship)? Are you in Canada right now or the UK (ie, how FAST does she need to be able to work)? etc

If you can provide the info then I'm sure someone will have some ideas for you!
Old Sep 9th 2010, 11:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irri
Depends on your visa or status - if you can tell us, then we can advise.

Old Sep 9th 2010, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry, I should have provided more information.

It's a long term plan. I'm am English, but can get Canadian citizenship. We have been living together for almost 2 years, but it might be hard to prove. She did have her Swedish visa extended because she was living with me so that might help. I'm in India at the moment, but we would head back to the UK before planning the move.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 1:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so if you are a Canadian citizen, then it's fairly straightforward.

You can just sponsor her for Permanent Residency, which only takes a few months.

Have a look at the CIC website for more info.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

Thank you very much for the information.

I had a look at the CIC website. There were two things I couldn't work out:

Do I have to be in Canada to start the process?
If we split up, does she lose the right to stay?