British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Common-law: one year - when is a "short absence" too long? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/common-law-one-year-when-short-absence-too-long-560082/)

BobbyBuilder Sep 7th 2008 3:58 pm

Common-law: one year - when is a "short absence" too long?

Hellooo! So we're starting the common-law endeavor + wanted to ask about the one-year requirement. We've been living together for a year and 3 months now, but I had to go back to UK for 2 months (during the one-year period) due to a family illness. I see the term "short absence" everywhere but this seems a little vague, anyone have any ideas/experiences that can help? Thanks :D

BobbyBuilder Sep 10th 2008 3:05 pm

Re: Common-law: one year - when is a "short absence" too long?

no? anyone?! testing..one..two..three!!

Ramsey Sep 10th 2008 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by BobbyBuilder (Post 6758834)
Hellooo! So we're starting the common-law endeavor + wanted to ask about the one-year requirement. We've been living together for a year and 3 months now, but I had to go back to UK for 2 months (during the one-year period) due to a family illness. I see the term "short absence" everywhere but this seems a little vague, anyone have any ideas/experiences that can help? Thanks :D

As far as i'm aware and could make out (we did common-law too and have read the forms so many times!!).... As long as your relationship is mutually dependant (i.e. financially, emationally, etc) you should be fine.

Provide a detailed description of why you went home and why your OH couldnt follow (had to work to pay bills etc)

On one of the forms there are questions like "How do you keep in contact while you are apart", etc.... Answer these with eveidence of telephone calls (itemised bills), emails, etc if you have them.

As long as it was something out of your control and you didn't just choose to bugger off for two months then I beleive you should be ok.

Good-luck!

:thumbsup:

Ramsey Sep 10th 2008 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by BobbyBuilder (Post 6769113)
no? anyone?! testing..one..two..three!!

Give us a chance!.... it's getting cold and everything starts to run slower! :D

Canada Dreams Sep 11th 2008 11:19 am

we arte doing the common law bit, and we were told as long as we can prove we have lived together for more than 2 years we would be fine, we also had to go to solcitors and get a form notarized ??