British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Common-law or marriage? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/common-law-marriage-352361/)

fat bob Feb 1st 2006 10:08 pm

Common-law or marriage?

Hello

We are setting out on the journey to emigration as a common-law couple (both UK citizens and residents), and we are looking at the paperwork requirements to prove the relationship. Now we can do this although it would be a lot of work to dig up email, get together photos, tickets, joint bills etc; or we could get married. If we nipped down the registry office on Friday (for instance) and got the deal sealed, so to speak, would this satisfy the immigration people as a married couple or would they smell a rat? (unjustly of course, but I can see the point of view).

Personally speaking I'm more than happy to go through the process of proving my common-law relationship, it was just a thought that occurred to me.

Interested in any thoughts, cheers,

FB

Andrew Miller Feb 1st 2006 11:41 pm

Re: Common-law or marriage?

If you get married before sending application then marriage certificate is all you need to prove relationship.

Originally Posted by fat bob
Hello

We are setting out on the journey to emigration as a common-law couple (both UK citizens and residents), and we are looking at the paperwork requirements to prove the relationship. Now we can do this although it would be a lot of work to dig up email, get together photos, tickets, joint bills etc; or we could get married. If we nipped down the registry office on Friday (for instance) and got the deal sealed, so to speak, would this satisfy the immigration people as a married couple or would they smell a rat? (unjustly of course, but I can see the point of view).

Personally speaking I'm more than happy to go through the process of proving my common-law relationship, it was just a thought that occurred to me.

Interested in any thoughts, cheers,

FB

mirceaf Feb 2nd 2006 12:59 am

wouldn't they be better to include proof of relationship (duration commitment) even if they have a marriage cert? you can have a lot of convenience marriages and additional documents will eliminate any doubt...

Andrew Miller Feb 2nd 2006 1:20 am

Marriage of convenience in 99% of cases is suspected when it comes to sponsorship by a Canadian citizen or PR and sometimes when new spouse is added to a single person's application just before visa is to be issued. It is not the case if marriage took place before application.

Originally Posted by mirceaf
wouldn't they be better to include proof of relationship (duration commitment) even if they have a marriage cert? you can have a lot of convenience marriages and additional documents will eliminate any doubt...

mirceaf Feb 2nd 2006 1:25 am

so people who get married to a Canadian citizen only in order to get PR status and apply after the marriage are safe? I think that in both cases (marriage before or after application date) additional proof should be required.

Andrew Miller Feb 2nd 2006 1:29 am

No, they are not. You are confusing 2 completely different classes - family class with economic class.

We are not talking in this thread about sponsorship cases - we are dealing with the application in economic class where both spouses or partners are applying, none is a Canadian or PR.

so people who get married to a Canadian citizen only in order to get PR status and apply after the marriage are safe? I think that in both cases (marriage before or after application date) additional proof should be required.

Reghuraj Feb 2nd 2006 6:11 am

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Marriage of convenience in 99% of cases is suspected when it comes to sponsorship by a Canadian citizen or PR and sometimes when new spouse is added to a single person's application just before visa is to be issued. It is not the case if marriage took place before application

lol. This gives me something to think about. I applied aug2005, and am single and in my 30's and my aor states 36 months. eventually it could be 48 months or more before i become PR, if at all i get to that point. In case i get married, which may happen(or maybe not), what could i do to make them believe me. ofcourse people like us dont get married with a hidden agenda.

regs

mirceaf Feb 2nd 2006 2:50 pm

according to immigration canada you have the following options:
- you would have to ask her, even at your first date (you want proof of your relationship, right?): smile honey! let's take some pictures just in case we'll get married to have what to send to CIC. And just in order to avoid scaring her, wait till the second date to ask her to signed a Will.
- you'll propose but tell her that she has 36/39/48 months to decide if she would accept
- you'll keep the dates so far apart that by the time you get your PR you'd start to know each other and you can get married.

;-))))

britishvixen21 Feb 2nd 2006 3:20 pm

according to immigration canada you have the following options:
- you would have to ask her, even at your first date (you want proof of your relationship, right?): smile honey! let's take some pictures just in case we'll get married to have what to send to CIC. And just in order to avoid scaring her, wait till the second date to ask her to signed a Will.
- you'll propose but tell her that she has 36/39/48 months to decide if she would accept
- you'll keep the dates so far apart that by the time you get your PR you'd start to know each other and you can get married.

;-))))

LOL thats so funny but so true at the same time, everything we have ever done and every pic we have ever taken has been for the use of CIC!! i cant wait to have a time when i dont have to think oohh i need to take this pic for immigration or oooh i need to keep statements to send!! I wonder what il do with all my spare brain space once this is over!!!