common law and London CHC

Old Nov 11th 2004, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Jameso is an unknown quantity at this point
Default common law and London CHC

I have just been reading through the archives. I am rather worried to see that CHC london seems to have a reputation for refusing common law/conjugal sponsorship applications and telling applicants that they should really be married. Is this really true?

I thought the ralationship was evaluated in Missisugua and not london anyway????

Thanks for input
Old Nov 11th 2004, 9:31 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: common law and London CHC

Partially true - CHC London has absolutely no problem with well documented common-law partnerships, but in most refuses conjugal partners (read girlfriends/boyfriends and fiancees) if there is nothing preventing partners from getting married or living together for 12 months to meet definition of common-law.

Originally Posted by Jameso
I have just been reading through the archives. I am rather worried to see that CHC london seems to have a reputation for refusing common law/conjugal sponsorship applications and telling applicants that they should really be married. Is this really true?

I thought the ralationship was evaluated in Missisugua and not london anyway????

Thanks for input
Old Nov 11th 2004, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Jonny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: common law and London CHC

Originally Posted by Jameso

Thanks for input
Mississuaga just evaluates whether your sponsor is eligible to be a sponsor. You'll get a letter after 3-4 weeks saying your sponsor has been approved as a sponsor, then your case file will be passed to CHC London for a decision on your PR. I don't believe that they will reject you and tell you to get married, I doubt they can be that blunt. Each case will be decided on it's own merits, how long have you been common law? As long as you can prove a history of a relationship with joint bank accounts, bills, tenancy agreements etc everything should be fine. I'm no expert though, just my opinion.