common-law form

Old Aug 20th 2007, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

clairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant future
Default common-law form

hi all, maybe im having a blonde day but on the common-law form it asks for province/state or territory..now obviously this doesnt seem to apply to us in the UK so do i leave it blank or do i need to put something in there.I would leave it blank, anyone know anything different.
thanx
Old Aug 20th 2007, 10:42 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: common-law form

County? It's the UK equivalent of those subdivisions in other countries.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

clairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant future

thanks for reply ...on the form it does ask for county..so obviously i filled that in..but just wondered about the state part etc...dont want to pay a solicitor to do the oath thing and find ive filled it in wrong
Old Aug 20th 2007, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Antstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really nice

Hi, we left it blank when we did ours - wasn't a problem! Should only cost you about £5 to get a 'commissioner of oaths' to sign the document too, you don't need a solicitor....Hope this helps.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks for that...i didnt think i needed to fill it in...and it is costing a £5 for a solicitor to do it....really surprised me knowing the cost of using one..
Old Aug 21st 2007, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Thunderchicken has a brilliant futureThunderchicken has a brilliant futureThunderchicken has a brilliant futureThunderchicken has a brilliant futureThunderchicken has a brilliant futureThunderchicken has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by clairemarie70
thanks for that...i didnt think i needed to fill it in...and it is costing a £5 for a solicitor to do it....really surprised me knowing the cost of using one..
Yep, £5 is all it cost us.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 3:07 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

It cost us $20 in Canada, but only £5 in London. What's all that aboot?
Old Aug 21st 2007, 3:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
It cost us $20 in Canada, but only £5 in London. What's all that aboot?
The Law Society fixes the fees that can be charged to swear an Affidavit or to affirm a Statutory Declaration in England and Wales. It does not matter if one has a solicitor or a commissioner for oaths do it, the maximum they can charge is five pounds plus two pounds for each exhibit attached. Alternatively, one can pop along to a local county court office and get one sworn before a court officer for free !!!!

In Canada (at least in Alberta) there is no such fixed fee so the cost will depend upon the lawyer/commisioner you use. Most banks have commissioners and, if you use your own bank, they will usually do it for free (you may also get a coffee and some donuts)

HTH
Old Aug 21st 2007, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
The Law Society fixes the fees that can be charged to swear an Affidavit or to affirm a Statutory Declaration in England and Wales. It does not matter if one has a solicitor or a commissioner for oaths do it, the maximum they can charge is five pounds plus two pounds for each exhibit attached.
I did not know that. It seemed awfully cheap to get anything done by a solicitor in London for that. No doubt if it was down to the individual solicitor it would be a five-figure fee.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

daveh123 is an unknown quantity at this point

We've just been ripped off then because the git we found to do it charged us 80 quid!!!
Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Ask for a 75 pound refund!
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 5:33 am
Benjy

benjy is an unknown quantity at this point

re the common law form sent out by immigration London, do we complete the top box stating "province/state/territory" or do we start below with the names etc. I assume like others I pay the £5 and get my solicitor to sign the form. Any ideas??
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 1:29 pm

Uh, you might want to actually read this thread.