common assault conviction

Old Jan 31st 2012, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: common assault conviction

Yes.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

esoog is an unknown quantity at this point

But before i pinch myself.....does that actually positively mean that a conviction is not a conviction if a conditional discharge is issued? or does it mean a confession or charge is not classed as a conviction if a conditional discharge is given??
Old Jan 31st 2012, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

right now i have the following in my case:

-UK Rehabilitation of Offenders Act automatically pardons eligible individuals without the person having to apply, if the person has been sentenced to a term of imprisonment of less than 30 months

and if i can add this to my case then wonderful
Old Jan 31st 2012, 5:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Dont confuse yourself a conditional discharge is NOT a conviction.
If no convictions then not inadmissible.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

your a genius lancastarian. Hope you really have a wonderful life ahead!

heres what i dug up

http://www.cisr-irb.gc.ca/Eng/brdcom...mrChap08_e.pdf

relevant part is on page 19
Old Jan 31st 2012, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/5312E.PDF

page 5 or 6 of this document states that if indictable crime committed in canada (provided no other indictable conviction or act is committed) you can only apply for a rehab, but if you have two then its an application for pardon.

Now im buggered, because they can see i have committed two acts of indictable offences. And as of whether the conditional discharge will give me any leverage is another matter i guess.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 10:33 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Have been following this thread with interest but am still slightly confused as to my own situation. Could anyone help me please?

My husband has 3 convictions, all in the late 1990's. The first and most serious was an assault, and he was given a 500pound fine which was returned after a year for good behaviour. I am guessing this is in no way debatable to being an indictable offence?

The second was a breech of the peace - a summary offence? He certainly never went to court and paid a fifty pound fine.

And the last was a charge for a technical assault (ie he put his hands on somebody but didn't cause any injury or anything like that). He didn't go to court and got a fifty pound fine, the same as for the breech of the peace.

I don't have the exact details to hand and am not sure how to find them. They were all in the UK before we emigrated to Australia and TBH I forgot all about them until this thread.

Is this last one likely to be considered a summary offence or an indictable one? And if it is an indictable one does that mean a definite no for us? We wouldn't be looking at going for another 5 years, so almost 20 years since the offences - would that make a difference and could he appeal for a rehabilitation status? Is there any point even getting a lawyer for this?
Old Jan 31st 2012, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I give up

One arrest for assault are we agreed on that?
Conditional discharge for the assault = not a conviction agreed?

Am I missing something?
Old Jan 31st 2012, 10:39 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by esoog
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/5312E.PDF

page 5 or 6 of this document states that if indictable crime committed in canada (provided no other indictable conviction or act is committed) you can only apply for a rehab, but if you have two then its an application for pardon.

Now im buggered, because they can see i have committed two acts of indictable offences. And as of whether the conditional discharge will give me any leverage is another matter i guess.
My bold. This is the bit that confuses me. What about crimes committed outside Canada?
Old Jan 31st 2012, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

Oh giggle away.... Well just been given the advice from a consultant that it counts as two acts of indictable offence as it lists two dates/disposals on my form although it comes under one 'conviction'. I was arrested just once and charged with one crime of ABH which was reduced to common assault after pleading guilty. I am applying for the WHV do you think i should just get all the paper work i would normally get ready for a rehab case and send that off with the work permit papers..

Or should I apply for rehab even though my convictions may not be convictions at the immigration officers discretion? They are not bound by uk laws specifically, so im kinda worried reallly worried lancastarian
Old Jan 31st 2012, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mika24me
Have been following this thread with interest but am still slightly confused as to my own situation. Could anyone help me please?

My husband has 3 convictions, all in the late 1990's. The first and most serious was an assault, and he was given a 500pound fine which was returned after a year for good behaviour. I am guessing this is in no way debatable to being an indictable offence?

The second was a breech of the peace - a summary offence? He certainly never went to court and paid a fifty pound fine.

And the last was a charge for a technical assault (ie he put his hands on somebody but didn't cause any injury or anything like that). He didn't go to court and got a fifty pound fine, the same as for the breech of the peace.

I don't have the exact details to hand and am not sure how to find them. They were all in the UK before we emigrated to Australia and TBH I forgot all about them until this thread.

Is this last one likely to be considered a summary offence or an indictable one? And if it is an indictable one does that mean a definite no for us? We wouldn't be looking at going for another 5 years, so almost 20 years since the offences - would that make a difference and could he appeal for a rehabilitation status? Is there any point even getting a lawyer for this?
Without exact details its hard to comment.
Assault is indictable regardless if dealt with by summary.
Breach of the peace could equate to mischief which is also an indictable offence.
Therefore 2 x indictable then inadmissible and therefore application for rehabilitation required.
Like I said more info required.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mika24me
My bold. This is the bit that confuses me. What about crimes committed outside Canada?
Read this link

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc.../enf02-eng.pdf
Old Jan 31st 2012, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

"committed an act" just reading 3.9 and it doesnt really include my case i think if im not reading it wrong.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 11:04 pm
Hussy

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Without exact details its hard to comment.
Assault is indictable regardless if dealt with by summary.
Breach of the peace could equate to mischief which is also an indictable offence.
Therefore 2 x indictable then inadmissible and therefore application for rehabilitation required.
Like I said more info required.
Thank you this is very helpful. I think I will get my husband to apply to the Scottish police under the freedom of information act and get all the details so we know what we are dealing with, and then we can look at applying for rehabilitation.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 11:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by esoog
Oh giggle away.... Well just been given the advice from a consultant that it counts as two acts of indictable offence as it lists two dates/disposals on my form although it comes under one 'conviction'. I was arrested just once and charged with one crime of ABH which was reduced to common assault after pleading guilty. I am applying for the WHV do you think i should just get all the paper work i would normally get ready for a rehab case and send that off with the work permit papers..

Or should I apply for rehab even though my convictions may not be convictions at the immigration officers discretion? They are not bound by uk laws specifically, so im kinda worried reallly worried lancastarian
What I suggest you do is read the following link and apply for the info only
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ns/rehabil.asp

In my opinion you are not inadmissible as I have indicated several times but this appears not to be getting through due to conflicting information from your consultant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.