Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Coming back into Canada as a landed resident without a PR card and single air ticket.

Coming back into Canada as a landed resident without a PR card and single air ticket.

Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:05 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coming back into Canada as a landed resident without a PR card and single air tic

Originally Posted by Waggle
Ok thanks Well I will be going with a recently validated COPR form, it's not like I will be going with a passport and a single ticket alone.

And I figure if I contact the airline first and explain then if they've confirmed it's ok, they are on fairly shaky ground refusing me at the airport.

Any idea how much a travel document costs and how long it takes to obtain one?

Wayne.
Ah, but what if the airline has no idea and says that CIC say you need one

They are only like $50 from memory, but its the day trip to do it in person at the CHC in London thats the major inconvenience.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:06 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coming back into Canada as a landed resident without a PR card and single air tic

yes but the question was about what you need to show on your initial landing flight.

Air canada asked to see our visas in the passport and our COPR forms ( we hadn't landed yet so no they hadn't been stamped )
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tiger_Quimpo
Forgive my ignorance, but when and how do you get the COPR. We collect our passports this Thrs.
When you get your passports with visa sticker in, you will also get a perferated form which is your COPR. When you land they fill it in, and give you the carbon copy underneath.

So it is this carbon copy of COPR plus visa sticker in the passport which I am hoping should present no problems in a one-way ticket flight come October time!

Wayne.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iaink
Ah, but what if the airline has no idea and says that CIC say you need one

They are only like $50 from memory, but its the day trip to do it in person at the CHC in London thats the major inconvenience.
So that's $50 plus Ā£50 train tickets plus a day off work, and I am already very very tight on holidays this year (probably going to lose money as it is when I quit my job in October because I'd have taken more than my pro-rata of holidays.

Hmm, food for thought!

Wayne.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of

So that's $50 plus Ā£50 train tickets plus a day off work, and I am already very very tight on holidays this year (probably going to lose money as it is when I quit my job in October because I'd have taken more than my pro-rata of holidays.

Hmm, food for thought!

Wayne.
I'm sorry, but the whole point of my starting this thread was to avoid people making the mistake of havng to go to the expense and time of getting a travel document. If you have the COPR counterfoil that is the legal requirement you need, not the travel document. My wife and son flew in with Thomas Cook by the way.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 6:06 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

your information is certainly helpful. Traditionally the Lower cost airlines like Thomas Cook are the ones who are more picky/uninformed about paperwork requirements, so it is very handy to hear from someone who managed with just their COPR like you did.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
your information is certainly helpful. Traditionally the Lower cost airlines like Thomas Cook are the ones who are more picky/uninformed about paperwork requirements, so it is very handy to hear from someone who managed with just their COPR like you did.
As I say, I also sent my wife and son copies of their PR cards and she presented those as well.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Tiger_Quimpo will become famous soon enoughTiger_Quimpo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by iaink
Doesnt it need rubber stamping on landing to be valid though?
Many thanks to Zoe Bell and Iaink.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by laser558
I'm sorry, but the whole point of my starting this thread was to avoid people making the mistake of havng to go to the expense and time of getting a travel document. If you have the COPR counterfoil that is the legal requirement you need, not the travel document. My wife and son flew in with Thomas Cook by the way.
We usually fly with Air Transat from Gatwick who use Thomas Cook.

Wayne.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 5:40 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok thanks Well I will be going with a recently validated COPR form, it's not like I will be going with a passport and a single ticket alone.

And I figure if I contact the airline first and explain then if they've confirmed it's ok, they are on fairly shaky ground refusing me at the airport.

Any idea how much a travel document costs and how long it takes to obtain one?

Wayne.
We did all that COPR was only 3 weeks old, I had already cleared it with the airline - AC - but it still took them two hours before they had satisfied them selfs that it was OK for us to checkin. Its the luck of the draw as to who the supervisors are at time of checkin. Personally I wouldnt put my self through it again, but thats me.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 1:15 am
Britnadian

hpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of light

Here's my complicated one... has anyone flown or been across a land border with just their Certificate of Permanent Residency and a Passport that has been renewed since the COPR was issued, and therefore, the Passport Number no longer matches the one on the COPR?

Every other detail does match, and I can explain the passport was renewed (even show the old void passport if I have to)... thoughts?

I'm interested in answers for both Land Border and Flying...