Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Coming back into Canada as a landed resident without a PR card and single air ticket.

Coming back into Canada as a landed resident without a PR card and single air ticket.

Old Jul 26th 2011, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of
Default Coming back into Canada as a landed resident without a PR card and single air ticket.

Hello, just to let you know the experience of my wife and son who came back into Canada on a single ticket without a PR card. They took with them the counterfoils from the COPR and a scanned copy of the PR card that arrived here in Canada. That was it. UK passport control were fine although they did say that having the scanned copies of the PR cards helped. So no need for a travel document or a permit to fly as has been mentioned on here. The most important document would be the COPR counterfoil.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 2:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coming back into Canada as a landed resident without a PR card and single air tic

Good to know. no trouble from the airline then. Boarding the flight is the alleged sticking point, everyone else can do without the PR card.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Coming back into Canada as a landed resident without a PR card and single air tic

No, no trouble at all. As I say, they looked closely but the thing that help, according to the guy at the check in area, was the copy of the PR cards, so maybe if anyone is in that position, they could take that if they have it.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 2:50 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Helpful information
which airline did they fly with?
Old Jul 26th 2011, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

Scotjames is on a distinguished road

Hi
I've flown into Canada on one way flights a couple times without my PR card and not had any trouble, just shown my COPR when asked. Also entered via border from States and same again just produced my COPR.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

Tiger_Quimpo will become famous soon enoughTiger_Quimpo will become famous soon enough

Just read this thread and thought I'd ask a semi-related question.

This thread is about landed perm residents returning without the PR card.

My question is a rhetorical one - I think : When traveling to land with a one way ticket, I assume the only evidence the airline and immigration are looking for is the Visa in your passport, on the understaning that the holder will be applying for their PR card upon landing.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 3:50 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I think i understand what you are asking , you want to know what happens on your one way landing flight?

We flew air canada , they asked to see our COPR and Visa page at check in , that was all
Old Jul 26th 2011, 3:54 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scotjames
Hi
I've flown into Canada on one way flights a couple times without my PR card and not had any trouble, just shown my COPR when asked. Also entered via border from States and same again just produced my COPR.
i enter canada with my PR card and still get hauled through immigration and the 20 question routine every bloody time
Old Jul 26th 2011, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Tiger_Quimpo will become famous soon enoughTiger_Quimpo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
I think i understand what you are asking , you want to know what happens on your one way landing flight?

We flew air canada , they asked to see our COPR and Visa page at check in , that was all
Forgive my ignorance, but when and how do you get the COPR. We collect our passports this Thrs.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 4:21 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiger_Quimpo
Forgive my ignorance, but when and how do you get the COPR. We collect our passports this Thrs.
When you land IIRC.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iaink
Good to know. no trouble from the airline then. Boarding the flight is the alleged sticking point, everyone else can do without the PR card.
My understanding is that there is no problem with the authorities if you do not have the PR card. The copy of your COPR should be sufficient proof that you have PR status.

The problem is with the airline allowing you to board since they get nervous. If they fly over an illegal immigrant they could be held responsible (at least, that is my understanding).

We are going to land at the end of August for 2 week trip, then fly back to UK, then I am planning to return 1 month later. Won't have PR cards since they'll arrive at our rented apartment in Canada, and that's if they've even arrived at all by that date.

Need to look into whether I'll need a travel document. Since the main issue is with the airline, I might see if I can confirm with the airline that they'll accept my single ticket flight with COPR copy to save having to arrange a travel document.

Wayne.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:01 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Wayne, its been discussed to death here over the years.

You seem to have a grasp of the thing, its the airline that may be sticky about a PR card, especially on a one way flight, but in practice hundreds of thousands of UK passport holders come to canada with nothing but a passport, and presumably some of them are on one way tickets. To be honest the airlines will often defer to whats on the CIC website, which is pretty much based on the "worst case/ safest thing to do".

Even if your PR has lapsed, they still have to let you into Canada before they can formally deport you, so no worries there for the airline. I've never seen a UK passort holder post here to say they were refused boarding.

Obviously everyone has there own comfort levels about this, but I would say getting a travel document as a returning UK passport holder is an inconvenience you could live without.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:02 pm
Professional Cat herder

Originally Posted by Tiger_Quimpo
your COPR comes with your passports
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iaink
Wayne, its been discussed to death here over the years.

You seem to have a grasp of the thing, its the airline that may be sticky about a PR card, especially on a one way flight, but in practice hundreds of thousands of UK passport holders come to canada with nothing but a passport, and presumably some of them are on one way tickets.

Even if your PR has lapsed, they still have to let you into Canada before they can formally deport you, so no worries there for the airline. I've never seen a UK passort holder post here to say they were refused boarding.

Obviously everyone has there own comfort levels about this, but I would say getting a travel document as a returning UK passport holder is an inconvenience you could live without.
Ok thanks Well I will be going with a recently validated COPR form, it's not like I will be going with a passport and a single ticket alone.

And I figure if I contact the airline first and explain then if they've confirmed it's ok, they are on fairly shaky ground refusing me at the airport.

Any idea how much a travel document costs and how long it takes to obtain one?

Wayne.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:04 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
your COPR comes with your passports
Doesnt it need rubber stamping on landing to be valid though?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.