Collecting visa at the airport

Old Feb 12th 2009, 7:42 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Collecting visa at the airport

Hi

My husbad has been offered a job in Toronto. The company have a lawyer working on the visa app. The paper work is with the employment people (cant remember their proper title) as so as they deceied that there isnt Canadian who can do the job they Ok all the paper work, the lawyer says this should be the end of Feb. He then said we can fly into Toronto and pick our Visa's up from there!! I was a bit suprised by this. Has anyone else done it this way or know someone who has?
Old Feb 12th 2009, 7:47 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Collecting visa at the airport

Originally Posted by Jacq53
Hi

My husbad has been offered a job in Toronto. The company have a lawyer working on the visa app. The paper work is with the employment people (cant remember their proper title) as so as they deceied that there isnt Canadian who can do the job they Ok all the paper work, the lawyer says this should be the end of Feb. He then said we can fly into Toronto and pick our Visa's up from there!! I was a bit suprised by this. Has anyone else done it this way or know someone who has?
If you have a written job offer, a labour market opinion (that's what the employment people issue) and a valid passport you can turn up at the airport with spouse and children and apply for a temporary work permit there and then. There is a chance it might be turned down, but from the stories told on this site that is very, very rare.

A bigger problem might be finding an airline that will carry you with one way tickets.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 7:52 am

When we collect the visa's from the airport, do we have to stay in Toronto or can we stay for a week or so get a house rental and then fly back to uk and move permanetly a few weeks later?

Sorry to sound thick but this is all new to me - please baer with me.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 7:54 am

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

We had no issues with this one, no problem with one way flights or getting the Work Permit.

Just make sure that you have all the correct paperwork, sure there is a guide in the wiki for this one?

Yep......

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/TWP_:_...o_apply-Canada

Look at the applying at port of entry section.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 7:57 am

Thanks for all you help - I really appreciate it. The company my husband is going to work for is paying for a lawyer in Toronto to sort this all out for us, but we dont hear from him that much, so I really do appreciate your replys.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 8:29 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacq53
When we collect the visa's from the airport, do we have to stay in Toronto or can we stay for a week or so get a house rental and then fly back to uk and move permanetly a few weeks later?

Sorry to sound thick but this is all new to me - please baer with me.
You probably need an expert to answer this, and I am not one.

AFAIK, this should be OK. However, a work permit does not guarantee re-admittance so there is a small element of risk. Anecdotal evidence on this site suggests that many TWP holders do leave and re-enter Canada with few problems.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 8:33 am

Thanks JonboyE

I will try and talk to the lawyer, when I get home tomorrow from work.