Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Collecting passports by hand query

Collecting passports by hand query

Old Jul 4th 2010, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

asiablue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Collecting passports by hand query

My husband is the primary applicant on our immigration papers, I handed them in at the High Commission UK.

It states in the paperwork that if someone who is NOT the applicant collects they need to have picture ID and letter from primary applicant giving permission for them to collect on their behalf, my query is, as I am his wife, who is also on the paperwork the only form of picture ID is the passports which they already have, do I need this permission to collect it? or can I just go and advise them that I am the spouse who is already on paperwork with a letter from my husband explaining who I am? Has this been done before?

I do have a photo licence as ID only an old ID card with my maiden name on it with my picture on.

Can some one Please let me know what they think?
Old Jul 4th 2010, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

crazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nice
Default Re: Collecting passports by hand query

Yes, you need your valid and acceptable picture ID together with notarized authorization from your husband to collect passports with visas. No way around it, sorry.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Many thanks crazy 72 panic panic!! my only photo id is my passport which they have!! I'll figure something out
Old Jul 5th 2010, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

johngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nice

Really?

It was my belief that if you were the person that dropped them off then you should be the person who picks them up to keep it simple.

Otherwise you have to nominate someone to collect them and they will need the ID.

You handed them in and have the ticket?
Old Jul 5th 2010, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Yes I did hand them in and I do have the reciept but it does state that if you are not the primary applicant you need to have the relevant ID. If my husband goes he just needs to bring the receipt with him to collect the documents.

I know what you mean though it is so much simpler your way!
Old Jul 5th 2010, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

4Shores has a brilliant future4Shores has a brilliant future4Shores has a brilliant future4Shores has a brilliant future4Shores has a brilliant future4Shores has a brilliant future

By now you will have picked them up :-)

The receipt was all that was needed - after all they can just check the enclosed passports.

No emoticon for rocket science :-)
Old Jul 5th 2010, 5:57 pm
Canadians!!

Jo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to all

Just wondering... why is it that a wife can pick up her husband's passport with a new PR visa in it, but not with a travel document....? What am I missing?
Old Jul 9th 2010, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Extension? forget it..

Well we picked up our passports and they have not granted an extension, so we have to fly out, land and come back at the end of July 10, hopeing that my husband will be able to stay and start his new post so at least he can crack on whilst I come back and tie up lose ends.

Happy to finally recieve visas though.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all
Default Re: Extension? forget it..

Originally Posted by asiablue
Well we picked up our passports and they have not granted an extension, so we have to fly out, land and come back at the end of July 10, hopeing that my husband will be able to stay and start his new post so at least he can crack on whilst I come back and tie up lose ends.

Happy to finally recieve visas though.
Sorry to hear you didn't get the extension, but at least you got the visa. Congratulations. Hope it wont be too stressful to get over in a short time. Best wishes.

Ray