Wikiposts

Co Op experience...

Old Mar 14th 2008, 11:30 am
Just Joined

cdeb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Co Op experience...

Hi there,
I was wondering if PAID CANADIAN CO OP work experience obtained during studying at a Canadian college which caters to an eligible NOC are eligible for points?

Any reply will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old Mar 14th 2008, 11:44 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Co Op experience...

According to PMM and Andrew Miller in this thread, you need to have a minimum of 12 months of continuous work experience. I have never heard of a co op program that provides that.
x
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

cdeb is an unknown quantity at this point

Ya but thats only if CO OP is you ONLY work experience?
In My case, I have 1 years of full time work exp, then 8 months of co op then a semester then 4 months of co op, in that case, my question is, will they count only 1 year or 2 years, since after 1 continous year, everything can be counted regardless its disjoint or not.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

IThinkIAmACat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey,

I have a similar question related to co-op

in my case I had one full year co-op with two companies (8 month with the first one working as a junior analyst, 4 month with the second company working as a business analyst) then returned to school for 4 month and did another 4 month co-op with the second company. In total, I have 16 monthes co-op work experience during my third and fourth year.

anyone know does this qualify for one year work experience when applying for immigration?

many thanks~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old Mar 14th 2008, 4:13 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cdeb
Ya but thats only if CO OP is you ONLY work experience?
In My case, I have 1 years of full time work exp, then 8 months of co op then a semester then 4 months of co op, in that case, my question is, will they count only 1 year or 2 years, since after 1 continous year, everything can be counted regardless its disjoint or not.
I'm not an immigration expert, but my reading of the CIC website is that, as long as you have one year of continuous skilled work experience, the rest of your skilled work experience can be cumulative. That is, 8 months plus 4 months adds up to 12 months. That cumulative year, in turn, can be added to the year of continuous experience, to arrive at a total of 2 years.

That is how I read the ordinary English meaning of the words.
x
Old Mar 14th 2008, 4:27 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Originally Posted by IThinkIAmACat
Hey,

I have a similar question related to co-op

in my case I had one full year co-op with two companies (8 month with the first one working as a junior analyst, 4 month with the second company working as a business analyst) then returned to school for 4 month and did another 4 month co-op with the second company. In total, I have 16 monthes co-op work experience during my third and fourth year.

anyone know does this qualify for one year work experience when applying for immigration?

many thanks~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sorry, I don't know. I've searched previous threads, and have found a few places in which Andrew Miller and PMM (both immigration experts) have talked about 1 year's continuous skilled work experience.

But I don't know what continuous mean, in this context.
  • Is it confined to working for one employer in one position for an unbroken 12 month period?

• Would it be alright to work continuously in a given field for a year, but split one's time between 2 employers over that year?

• Even if you were allowed to work for different employers over the course of a year, does it matter that you had two different positions (junior analyst and business analyst)? Andrew Miller always says that job titles don't matter. The duties that are performed and how closely they match the job descriptions on the National Occupational Classification website are the relevant considerations. But I don't know how similar your duties in the two positions were.
Regrettably, searches of previous threads and of CIC's website notwithstanding, I'm unable to answer your question.
x
Old Mar 14th 2008, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

IThinkIAmACat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Sorry, I don't know. I've searched previous threads, and have found a few places in which Andrew Miller and PMM (both immigration experts) have talked about 1 year's continuous skilled work experience.

But I don't know what continuous mean, in this context.
  • Is it confined to working for one employer in one position for an unbroken 12 month period?

• Would it be alright to work continuously in a given field for a year, but split one's time between 2 employers over that year?

• Even if you were allowed to work for different employers over the course of a year, does it matter that you had two different positions (junior analyst and business analyst)? Andrew Miller always says that job titles don't matter. The duties that are performed and how closely they match the job descriptions on the National Occupational Classification website are the relevant considerations. But I don't know how similar your duties in the two positions were.
Regrettably, searches of previous threads and of CIC's website notwithstanding, I'm unable to answer your question.
x
Thanks for your reply anyway, really appreciated!!

anyone knows??? thanks!~~