Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Closest place to vancouver to activate work permit

Closest place to vancouver to activate work permit

Old Mar 24th 2017, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

1Mandem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Closest place to vancouver to activate work permit

I was allowed into Vancouver on a tourist visa while I looked for work.. now I have found something I want to travel by public transport (and then walk) to a border to activate my IEC work permit.

I know the airport is the closest place but I don't think I will be able to do it there without having just arrived on a flight.

Does anyone know where is the best place to go?
Old Mar 24th 2017, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

dominiqueincanada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Closest place to vancouver to activate work permit

Originally Posted by 1Mandem
I was allowed into Vancouver on a tourist visa while I looked for work.. now I have found something I want to travel by public transport (and then walk) to a border to activate my IEC work permit.

I know the airport is the closest place but I don't think I will be able to do it there without having just arrived on a flight.

Does anyone know where is the best place to go?
I activated both my second IEC and PR at the Peach Arch border crossing. I didn't have a car at the time so used the Car Modo car share to flagpole there.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Peace Arch or Pac Highway crossings and NOT the airport unless arriving off a trans border or international flight.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

fnorman is an unknown quantity at this point

If no car is available and you don't mind spending extra time on transit, you can walk 10-15 minutes from the bus stop #55375 at 1100 block King George Boulevard to the Canadian customs building immediately north of the Peace Arch. To avoid the freeway shoulder cross to the east side at the roundabouts and walk south past the tourist information building. The stop is serviced by bus 375 (all day) and 321 (rush hour only). Check the Translink route planner for times and connections.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 10:27 pm
Chips & Gravy

jennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of light

Or you could go to Point Roberts. Bus stop is a 5-10 min walk around the corner from the border crossing.

Enter US Border and Customs, Point Roberts in to Google from your location. It's an hour from downtown on transit (basically get to Bridgeport, get on a bus, get off, walk around the corner, enter the USA).

Last edited by jennellapea; Mar 24th 2017 at 11:33 pm. Reason: Added info
Old Mar 25th 2017, 7:05 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I went to Point Roberts to activate 2nd IEC (PR was done inland at Vancouver CIC office).

No issues with Point Roberts. As mentioned above, it takes 5 mins to walk from bus stop across a park to the USA side and then back round to the Canadian crossing.

I went mid morning on a Sunday and it was dead
Old Mar 26th 2017, 12:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
I went to Point Roberts to activate 2nd IEC (PR was done inland at Vancouver CIC office).

No issues with Point Roberts. As mentioned above, it takes 5 mins to walk from bus stop across a park to the USA side and then back round to the Canadian crossing.

I went mid morning on a Sunday and it was dead
Thanks everyone. Point Roberts sounds easiest... I'll let you know how it goes
Old Mar 31st 2017, 3:20 am
Just Joined

Went to Point Roberts yesterday. 'Flagpoled' at the US building and then went back to the Canadian side where they activated my visa - the process took less than half an hour.

I split the cost of a hire car with some people from the hostel, it was about a 45 minute drive. We checked out Tsawwassen. Not much there.. Some nice houses and a couple of beaches. You can catch a nice view from Fred Gingell park esp during and after sunset
Old Mar 31st 2017, 11:05 pm
Chips & Gravy

jennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 1Mandem
Went to Point Roberts yesterday. 'Flagpoled' at the US building and then went back to the Canadian side where they activated my visa - the process took less than half an hour.

I split the cost of a hire car with some people from the hostel, it was about a 45 minute drive. We checked out Tsawwassen. Not much there.. Some nice houses and a couple of beaches. You can catch a nice view from Fred Gingell park esp during and after sunset
Glad to hear it went well