Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

CLaw Sponsorship: UK or Canada route?

CLaw Sponsorship: UK or Canada route?

Old Aug 16th 2011, 1:45 am
Just Joined

VickiJaneCanada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CLaw Sponsorship: UK or Canada route?

Hi All

I'm wondering whether anyone can help me, as I am completely confused (as I'm sure most people are when they are applying for residency).

Applying for permanent residency: UK or Canada route?

I have two questions:

1) I believe it is faster to apply for residency through the UK office, but am I able to apply for a work permit whilst it is being processed or is does this only apply for in-Canada applications (and if it does only apply for in-Canada applications, is it guaranteed you will receive a permit)?

2) What are the stipulations for applying outside of Canada? Just being a resident in the UK? I am currently residing in Canada - can my medical be done within Canada? If I get called for an interview, will I be able to do it in Canada?

Current Situation:
- Applying for common-law with my boyfriend of 2 years
- Currently on my 3rd working holiday visa expiring in May 2012 (i believe it's very tough to have a working holiday visa approved when you have had multiple ones before and applying for residency).
- British Citizen

Aim
- to remain working in Canada whilst my PR application is being processed

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help me.

Vicki
Old Aug 16th 2011, 1:55 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CLaw Sponsorship: UK or Canada route?

Originally Posted by VickiJaneCanada
Hi All

I'm wondering whether anyone can help me, as I am completely confused (as I'm sure most people are when they are applying for residency).

Applying for permanent residency: UK or Canada route?

I have two questions:

1) I believe it is faster to apply for residency through the UK office, but am I able to apply for a work permit whilst it is being processed or is does this only apply for in-Canada applications (and if it does only apply for in-Canada applications, is it guaranteed you will receive a permit)?

You can only apply for a work permit with an inland application unfortunately, and I believe this is granted when your sponsor is approved.

2) What are the stipulations for applying outside of Canada? Just being a resident in the UK? I am currently residing in Canada - can my medical be done within Canada? If I get called for an interview, will I be able to do it in Canada?

You don't need to be resident in the UK to apply outland - many of us (I'd say the majority) are actually here and applying outland.
Your medical can be done at one of many medical offices in Canada and actually works out cheaper!
The downside of applying outland is if you get called for an interview, you have to travel to London - however if you have a straightforward case you should be ok.

Current Situation:
- Applying for common-law with my boyfriend of 2 years
- Currently on my 3rd working holiday visa expiring in May 2012 (i believe it's very tough to have a working holiday visa approved when you have had multiple ones before and applying for residency).
- British Citizen

Aim
- to remain working in Canada whilst my PR application is being processed

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help me.

Vicki
If you apply now then it should all be done and dusted before your visa runs out!
Old Aug 16th 2011, 2:03 am
Just Joined

VickiJaneCanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Mandy!

Do you know how easily you can obtain a work permit if the sponsor has been approved? I can't recall - is this the longest stage of the process?

And one last question - do you know how easily you can travel if you have a valid work permit and applying from inside Canada?

Thanks again

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
If you apply now then it should all be done and dusted before your visa runs out!
Old Aug 16th 2011, 4:38 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

now I'm not sure on the timelines for applying inside Canada - or whether first stage approval takes longer (due to them having to do the work permit thing) - there may be a thread for applicants applyong inland - i'll take a look and see what I can find to give you an idea of the times involved.

For your second question, if you have a valid work permit then travel is as easy as it is now - there are no limitations I don't think for trips abroad - obviously re-entry is up to the specific immigration bod at the airpoert - but again, no more stringent than what you are now on.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 4:48 am
Sawdust making harpy

here we go - here's the link to the processing timelines from the CIC site. 1st stage approval is taking 9 / 10 months http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...es/perm-fc.asp

so if you wanted to get an open work permit you would need to get it sent in right away.

Outland is taking roughly the same time for the whole thing but obviously it goes directly to pr (and by default a work permit too).

Bear in mind these cases are based on 80% of applications. some may take longer and some quicker.

No-one can really say which one would be best for you but you do have at least a bit of time in your favour.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 7:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

This Wiki article may well answer some of your questions.........http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousa...sorship-Canada

Welcome to the forum.