Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Clarifying answers to FSW1 application questions

Clarifying answers to FSW1 application questions

Old Jul 25th 2012, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond repute
Default Clarifying answers to FSW1 application questions

We're off to London tomorrow to drop off our passports to have our PR visas put in. Our application was under FSW1 with myself as the main applicant (NOC 0213), and we applied under the pre-June 2010 rules.

This post is really just to reassure anyone else who has applied under those rules, by clarifying some aspects of our application - aspects which have generated questions on here in the close-on 3 years that I've been a member. This forum has been a great source of information, although sometimes contradictory in places, though the rules contribute greatly to the confusion.

Anyway, the following comments apply to our application, and are meant as a guideline only for anyone in a similar boat:
  • We used equity in our house as proof of funds at the application stage, with two written valuations from local estate agents and a copy of our latest mortgage statement. (we have recently sold the house so will have the necessary funds when we land)
  • We did not notarise any of our supporting documents, we supplied certified copies. They were certified by our local post office using their Identity Checking Service. It cost us around £35 for all our documents. English translations of my wife's Russian documents were certified by the same company who did the translations (weird maybe, but it worked).
  • We printed our own photographs for the later stages of processing (updated documents request, updated police certificates, medicals and passport requests) after using a branch of Snappy Snaps for the initial application. We used www.epassport.com, which we have also used for my children's UK passport applications. I'm good with IT stuff and we have a mid-range printer at home, nothing too special. It wasn't hard.
  • I passed the medical exam despite having ACL reconstruction in 2003 and a bout of sciatica earlier this year.
These methods worked for us, maybe we're lucky, maybe people feel more comfortable with belt and braces, I just wanted to share in case it lowers anyone's stress levels!
Old Jul 25th 2012, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

graham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nice
Default Re: Clarifying answers to FSW1 application questions

well done on ppr

Some good info there, hope this will help new members on the long road.

Like you we also had everthing certified but paid £95,00did have over 100 pages plus so not so bad)

now the wait for medicals
Old Jul 25th 2012, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks G&G, good luck with your application too.

Originally Posted by Bucks_Family
  • We printed our own photographs for the later stages of processing (updated documents request, updated police certificates, medicals and passport requests) after using a branch of Snappy Snaps for the initial application. We used www.epassport.com, which we have also used for my children's UK passport applications. I'm good with IT stuff and we have a mid-range printer at home, nothing too special. It wasn't hard.

I boobed on the link here, the site is www.epassportphoto.com
Old Jul 26th 2012, 12:14 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much for that post.

We also used estate agent valuations for our proof of funds, and despite everyone saying it will be fine, I was never really confident about doing that as no-one actually said they had done it themselves, until now

I also printed off my own photos, although we did get photobooth pictures first, then copy them. (The booth only prints 5, we needed 6, of course, lol.

Have a nice trip to London
Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks DnA, we've got nice weather for it, so we're taking our 4 month old into London too to make a day of it.
I'm happy our comments have been of some reassurance to you, that's what I hoped would happen.
All the best with your app.. time will fly if you try not to think about it too much (that's hard though, I know!!)
Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

MapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really nice

Good luck today. Remember, the left hand queue to drop off passports, right hand to collect them
Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MapleSauce
Good luck today. Remember, the left hand queue to drop off passports, right hand to collect them
Thanks! That's useful info, I'd not had time to search for it. This forum rocks