Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Clarification on New Regulations for International Students

Clarification on New Regulations for International Students

Old Mar 19th 2014, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

yeastery is on a distinguished road
Default Clarification on New Regulations for International Students

Lots of changes were announced recently here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...2014-02-12.asp

My question was about this change:
"Study permit holders pursuing studies at publicly-funded and certain privately-funded post-secondary institutions must apply for an Off-Campus Work Permit to be able to work up to 20 hours per week off-campus during the academic session and full-time during scheduled breaks."
has become
"Study permits will automatically authorize the holder to work off-campus for up to 20 hours per week during the academic session and full-time during scheduled breaks without the need to apply for a separate work permit. The study permit holder must be pursuing academic, vocational or professional training of six months or more that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate at a designated institution."

Previously, one had to have been studying for 6 of the last 12 months to be eligible to apply for the off-campus work permit, but the later rule seems to imply that the work permit is automatic and available as soon as the study permit is. It says the student must be studying a course that lasts at least six months - am I right in thinking this implies the off-campus work permit applies immediately, and the old "6 of the last 12" rule is gone? Otherwise, someone undertaking a 6 month program would only have the off-campus eligibility at the end of their course. Am I reading this right?

If so, I can now afford college this fall!

Kudos to CIC for making these changes super clear.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 4:42 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clarification on New Regulations for International Students

Hi

Originally Posted by yeastery
Lots of changes were announced recently here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...2014-02-12.asp

My question was about this change:
"Study permit holders pursuing studies at publicly-funded and certain privately-funded post-secondary institutions must apply for an Off-Campus Work Permit to be able to work up to 20 hours per week off-campus during the academic session and full-time during scheduled breaks."
has become
"Study permits will automatically authorize the holder to work off-campus for up to 20 hours per week during the academic session and full-time during scheduled breaks without the need to apply for a separate work permit. The study permit holder must be pursuing academic, vocational or professional training of six months or more that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate at a designated institution."

Previously, one had to have been studying for 6 of the last 12 months to be eligible to apply for the off-campus work permit, but the later rule seems to imply that the work permit is automatic and available as soon as the study permit is. It says the student must be studying a course that lasts at least six months - am I right in thinking this implies the off-campus work permit applies immediately, and the old "6 of the last 12" rule is gone? Otherwise, someone undertaking a 6 month program would only have the off-campus eligibility at the end of their course. Am I reading this right?

If so, I can now afford college this fall!

Kudos to CIC for making these changes super clear.
1. If the regulations are changed as of 01/06 then a student from a recognized school will be allowed to work off campus from day 1. They will probably not be issued a work permit, but a condition will be added to the Study permit to permit off campus work. 20 hours during the school session, full time during semester breaks.
2. Course of 6 months or less will not allow the student to work off campus.
3. You will still have to demonstrate sufficient funds for the first years tuition and $10K for living expenses before the study permit would be issued. Unlikely that a near minimum wage job would pay for international fees.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. If the regulations are changed as of 01/06 then a student from a recognized school will be allowed to work off campus from day 1. They will probably not be issued a work permit, but a condition will be added to the Study permit to permit off campus work. 20 hours during the school session, full time during semester breaks.
2. Course of 6 months or less will not allow the student to work off campus.
3. You will still have to demonstrate sufficient funds for the first years tuition and $10K for living expenses before the study permit would be issued. Unlikely that a near minimum wage job would pay for international fees.
Thanks for the clarifications! Yeah, I have savings to cover the fees, I'd just like like to be somewhat self-sustaining during my course.

Are there guidelines on amount of money needed to show to support living expenses per month of academic study? I'm doing an 8 month course.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 5:10 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks for the clarifications! Yeah, I have savings to cover the fees, I'd just like like to be somewhat self-sustaining during my course.

Are there guidelines on amount of money needed to show to support living expenses per month of academic study? I'm doing an 8 month course.
Then it would be 8x$833
Old Mar 19th 2014, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Then it would be 8x$833
Awesome thanks.

Another question: how early before I begin a program can I enter the country on the study permit?
Old Mar 21st 2014, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Rick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really nice

Awesome thanks.

Another question: how early before I begin a program can I enter the country on the study permit?
As PMM said above.

To add:

I entered a month before my program started. It is all about how much financial support you can show and why you want to come in early. Put it this way, entering early for the purposes of working would not be sensible. But if you want to come two months early because you want to travel Canada for a month, then spend two weeks doing a history of Canada course before you start and give yourself enough time to find a place to live and you can support yourself you'd be fine.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rick b
As PMM said above.

To add:

I entered a month before my program started. It is all about how much financial support you can show and why you want to come in early. Put it this way, entering early for the purposes of working would not be sensible. But if you want to come two months early because you want to travel Canada for a month, then spend two weeks doing a history of Canada course before you start and give yourself enough time to find a place to live and you can support yourself you'd be fine.
Thanks for the useful info!