Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Clarification needed (Post-graduation

Clarification needed (Post-graduation

Old Sep 30th 2007, 5:25 pm
Stooodent

Chippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really nice
Default Clarification needed (Post-graduation

Hi everyone,

Just about to book my GRE exam and fire off my applications for a Masters at various Canadian Universities. However, I have one question that has been bugging me for the last couple of weeks.

When I graduate, can I apply for graduate schemes in companies like IBM, EA etc like a Canadian Resident would? I've been digging around online for a week, and have so far found this: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad.asp

With the above Visa, I'm allowed to work in Canada for up to 1 year after graduation. I don't require an LMO/HRSDC confirmation for the visa if I've understood it correctly, which obviously is a major benefit.

The problem arises after that year has passed. If the company I work for decides they want to hire me permanently, is it going to cause problems when the year is up? Or will I get fast-tracked as I'd have a permanent offer?

On the other hand, if the company decides they don't want me, I assume I'm then royally stuffed? I'd have to try and find a new job, get an LMO, work permit etc right?

I've almost got it, I just need someone to confirm if what I've understood is actually correct. Any assistance would be excellent, and thanks in advance.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clarification needed (Post-graduation

Have you looked into the PNP graduate scheme. I know BC has one but I don't know it works I'm afraid.

Things do change with CIC though, so what is valid now may not be when you graduate and vice versa, which may be to your advatage or may not.

Good luck and sorry can't be more help.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 7:03 pm
Stooodent

Chippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really nice

Hi live to ski,

Yeah I've looked at the PNP scheme. It simplifies things if I can get a job offer from a company that is willing to sponsor me etc, but I'm not entirely sure a company such as IBM even consider sponsoring International applicants for their graduate schemes.

Thanks for the reply.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

soconnell74 is on a distinguished road

Well tomorrow is my last day working for IBM after 6 years so I guess I have some insight to offer. I was able to secure a work visa with IBM because I had work experience and happened to work in a role that was hard to recruit for. I've never come across any new graduates in IBM who were here on visas, all were Canadian and came from local universities. Doesn't mean another international company won't do it, but I wouldn't expect much joy from IBM.