Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Clarification needed on Family Sponsorship

Clarification needed on Family Sponsorship

Old Dec 8th 2004, 10:16 am
Just Joined

dialcanada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Clarification needed on Family Sponsorship

HI All,

If a Canadian Resident has sponsored his/her family in FAMILY SPONSORSHIP category. The sposored family is already landed as immigrants 6 months ago. Now if one of the family member of the sponsored family wanted to visit USA to a relative, then:

1. First of all is it possible for that family member to leave Canada within 1 year of landing ??

2. Does that person need visa to come to USA ?? Or can directly buy a ticket and can come ??

3. Is anything else required which I'm not aware of ??

Thanks for all the responses.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

MrBosco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Clarification needed on Family Sponsorship

Originally Posted by dialcanada
HI All,

If a Canadian Resident has sponsored his/her family in FAMILY SPONSORSHIP category. The sposored family is already landed as immigrants 6 months ago. Now if one of the family member of the sponsored family wanted to visit USA to a relative, then:

1. First of all is it possible for that family member to leave Canada within 1 year of landing ??

2. Does that person need visa to come to USA ?? Or can directly buy a ticket and can come ??

1. yes

2. not sure but I think USA visa requirements relate to your citizenship, so it depends upon what country's passport is held. I don't think having PR status in Canada overrides this, but I'm not positive.

3. have them bring their PR card so they can return w/o problems.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 11:20 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Being a Canadian PR means nothing when it comes to US admission - if you needed US visa before becoming a Canadian PR then you still need one now.

As in any other case you must apply for visa (after making an appointment in US consulate) and prove to them that you have strong ties to your current home country (Canada) like steady job etc.

Originally Posted by dialcanada
HI All,

Old Dec 9th 2004, 1:27 am
Just Joined

dialcanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to Mr. Miller and Mr. Bosco for taking out some time to reply. Your answers have cleared my doubts.