Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Clarification on days for citizenship - experts please.

Wikiposts

Clarification on days for citizenship - experts please.

Old Sep 3rd 2007, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

bartM will become famous soon enough
Default Clarification on days for citizenship - experts please.

We are quickly approaching the citizenship application date and I am trying to count those 1095 days that are required.

Here's the situation. I travel a lot in business, which means that since my PR, I was out of a country probably 1-2 months/year. It was my understanding that those days cannot be counted towards the 1095. However, I met a person in a similar situation recently that claimed that those days will still count as I had the established residency in Canada (which kind of makes sense).

So if I fly to US for 5 days in business, while living in Canada - should I add those 5 days as residency days or not?

Thanks for clearing up the confusion.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 8:09 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clarification on days for citizenship - experts please.

Hi

Originally Posted by bartM
We are quickly approaching the citizenship application date and I am trying to count those 1095 days that are required.

Here's the situation. I travel a lot in business, which means that since my PR, I was out of a country probably 1-2 months/year. It was my understanding that those days cannot be counted towards the 1095. However, I met a person in a similar situation recently that claimed that those days will still count as I had the established residency in Canada (which kind of makes sense).

So if I fly to US for 5 days in business, while living in Canada - should I add those 5 days as residency days or not?

Unless you are in the Canadian Military, working overseas for the Provincial or Federal Gov't don't count those days you are out of country. If you apply without sufficient days of resident, you will find yourself waiting 8-10 months additional for hearing with the judge. Or you can go with the person you met stated, but I think it is foolish.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 8:38 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bartM

This was the basis I figured mine on:
A day trip out of the country, say to the US shopping or for work is allowable. If you are away overnight each night counts as 1 day away and cannot count towards the citizenship requirements.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

bartM will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys, it was my understanding as well but sometimes you just want to double check stuff.