claiming points on language

Old Dec 20th 2012, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

sriraksha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default claiming points on language

Hi Everyone

As you all know FSW opens from may 4 2013. I was little confused with the points allotted for languages as mentioned in the CIC and gazette. can we claim points from both the languages ( English and French )....I'm giving IELTS for English, can anyone please guide me how to claim points on French and how it is assessed.

thanks in advance.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 1:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: claiming points on language

TEF is the french equivalent of IELTS. Take the test to get the points.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iaink
TEF is the french equivalent of IELTS. Take the test to get the points.
Hi
Sorry I didn't get you, So you mean I can claim points from both the languages......maximum of 28 together.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 2:13 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sriraksha
Hi
Sorry I didn't get you, So you mean I can claim points from both the languages......maximum of 28 together.
From what I recall there are fewer points on offer for a second language, but if you want to claim those that are available you need a TEF score.

Doesnt the CIC page has a points self assessment thing any longer?

"Proficiency in English or French
(Maximum 24 points)"
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...r-language.asp
Old Dec 20th 2012, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
You can claim point on anything you like!

The trick is you have to be able to prove it, if you feel that both your french and english skills are good enough to be tested on then claim it, if you don't want to be tested then don't claim it.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 2:25 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by ArthurBrit

The trick is you have to be able to prove it, if you feel that both your french and english skills are good enough to be tested on then claim it, if you don't want to be tested then don't claim it.
IF you dont present proof at the time you apply, there is a good chance you wont be awarded the points you claim. Nowadays its best to apply with the TEF and IELTS scores.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

From what I recall there are fewer points on offer for a second language, but if you want to claim those that are available you need a TEF score.

Doesnt the CIC page has a points self assessment thing any longer?

"Proficiency in English or French
(Maximum 24 points)"
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...r-language.asp
Hi
Isn't this the old rule ? the new proposed rules are different I guess. can you please go through this link below and do the Quiz and check points for language its actually given 28 in total.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity...ed-worker.html
please correct me if I'm wrong
Old Dec 20th 2012, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ArthurBrit

Hi
Off course I'm doing IELTS soon and I don't have any knowledge on French language. I'm willing to do French test too through TEF..but not sure what the pattern is.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 2:51 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Hi
Off course I'm doing IELTS soon and I don't have any knowledge on French language. I'm willing to do French test too through TEF..but not sure what the pattern is.
If you have no knowledge of French you are wasting your money taking the test surely?
Old Dec 20th 2012, 2:51 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Hi
Isn't this the old rule ? the new proposed rules are different I guess. can you please go through this link below and do the Quiz and check points for language its actually given 28 in total.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity...ed-worker.html
please correct me if I'm wrong
Beats me, but if you are going to claim points for proficiency, you will need the do the TEF test to back that up.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

If you have no knowledge of French you are wasting your money taking the test surely?
HI
I'm not aiming for high proficiency, just the basic proficiency giving me 1 each point in R/L/W/S.....I don't think it would be waste of money......as those 4 points are priority for me.....
Old Dec 20th 2012, 3:10 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

HI
I'm not aiming for high proficiency, just the basic proficiency giving me 1 each point in R/L/W/S.....I don't think it would be waste of money......as those 4 points are priority for me.....
Better start some lessons then.... Based on reports here people that have passed even "A level" French struggle to get points for moderate proficiency.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 3:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

HI
I guess time will tell but, basic proficiency requires knowledge above none
Old Dec 20th 2012, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

Better start some lessons then....
Task of the day: Find a competent french teacher asap ......and thanks for your inputs.....
Old Dec 20th 2012, 3:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Task of the day: Find a competent french teacher asap ......and thanks for your inputs.....
Do you not speak any French already? You say you're aiming at 'basic proficiency', but you would no longer get any points at all for a basic level of second language under the proposed new points system, so you'll need to be at 'moderately demanding' level within a few months, which is going to be tough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.