Civil Servants!!

Old May 2nd 2005, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

kki6 is on a distinguished road
Default Civil Servants!!

Well, not sure where to place this one but its kind of re-assuring to see Civil Servants are the same everywhere!!

Went in to the local HRDC office in Ottawa to apply for my SIN. As some of you with long names might have noticed, the COPR doesn't contain full middle names.

After completing the relevant form, I handed it in to the lady at the counter in the HRDC office. I noticed whilst she was completing her part of the form the she did not spell my second name correctly but simply wrote it as it appeared in the COPR. I tried correcting her by explaining that the COPR did not contain the full name but part of the name. I showed her my passport and the complete name on the immigrant visa. Her reaction? 'I see you are right but I cannot use any other name apart from the one in the COPR'

Welcome to Canada? Yes, thank you. If nothing else, at least the civil servants are the same as back in the UK - no Initiatives allowed!!! We definitely feel at home real quick
Old May 2nd 2005, 10:38 am
Gone Walkabout

Scouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really nice
Default Re: Civil Servants!!

Originally Posted by kki6
Well, not sure where to place this one but its kind of re-assuring to see Civil Servants are the same everywhere!!

Went in to the local HRDC office in Ottawa to apply for my SIN. As some of you with long names might have noticed, the COPR doesn't contain full middle names.

After completing the relevant form, I handed it in to the lady at the counter in the HRDC office. I noticed whilst she was completing her part of the form the she did not spell my second name correctly but simply wrote it as it appeared in the COPR. I tried correcting her by explaining that the COPR did not contain the full name but part of the name. I showed her my passport and the complete name on the immigrant visa. Her reaction? 'I see you are right but I cannot use any other name apart from the one in the COPR'

Welcome to Canada? Yes, thank you. If nothing else, at least the civil servants are the same as back in the UK - no Initiatives allowed!!! We definitely feel at home real quick
LOL

Wot's your second name then...mike?? [kidding!!]

Karma on its way!!
Old May 2nd 2005, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Scouse
LOL

Wot's your second name then...mike?? [kidding!!]

Karma on its way!!
LOL

No its not Mike

Thanks for the Karma
Old May 2nd 2005, 4:08 pm
Every day is a new day...

amancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond repute

LOL

No its not Mike

Thanks for the Karma
wat do u reckon then kki?? should we wait for our PR cards and then apply for the SIN?
I had a little problem with my name too and CIC had added a second given name in my visa and COPR! now, even though I got it fixed at the port of entry, the visa and COPR names remain the same!!
so, wat ---- do we have to wait for the PR card then??
Old May 3rd 2005, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

proo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to all

If nothing else, at least the civil servants are the same as back in the UK - no Initiatives allowed!!! We definitely feel at home real quick

Add rude, lazy and egotistic and then you've got a French one!
Old May 3rd 2005, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by amancharan
wat do u reckon then kki?? should we wait for our PR cards and then apply for the SIN?
I had a little problem with my name too and CIC had added a second given name in my visa and COPR! now, even though I got it fixed at the port of entry, the visa and COPR names remain the same!!
so, wat ---- do we have to wait for the PR card then??
Amy
You can apply for your SIN without waiting for the PR card. In fact you should apply for your SIN cos there is no need to wait for the PR card. I was advised that it takes 4-6 weeks to get the card. I have been told that when filling the form, it is optionally if your want your 2nd name to appear on the SIN card. Guess you can simply fill out the form and decide if you want to include the 2nd name.

It still might not solve the problem of the civil servant but hey, wonders do happen
Old May 3rd 2005, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by proo
Add rude, lazy and egotistic and then you've got a French one!
Guess you had a brilliant experience somewhere in Quebec then eh?

And some one please tell me, what is this new line of 4-6 weeks? Everything seems to be 4-6 weeks PR Card, SIN Card, etc
Old May 3rd 2005, 4:06 pm

amancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond repute

Amy
You can apply for your SIN without waiting for the PR card. In fact you should apply for your SIN cos there is no need to wait for the PR card. I was advised that it takes 4-6 weeks to get the card. I have been told that when filling the form, it is optionally if your want your 2nd name to appear on the SIN card. Guess you can simply fill out the form and decide if you want to include the 2nd name.

It still might not solve the problem of the civil servant but hey, wonders do happen
I have an appointment with the Quebec immigration authorities next monday.... I'll find out abt the SIN then..
Old May 3rd 2005, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Sympathies about the name Mine and my son's are too long for every single Canadian form I've ever filled out and they truncate it as they see fit. They cut out my middle initials too, but never the same ones each time so I have a collection of, on first sight, apparently different names

Looking forward to explaining myself a hundred times over on this one, but hoping I don't get the same civil servant as you

Biiiiink

xxxxx (aka xxxx) xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx <----my name
xxxxxx xxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx <---- son's name - try fitting those on a form!!!!
Old May 3rd 2005, 10:56 pm
Gone Walkabout

Scouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really nice

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Sympathies about the name Mine and my son's are too long for every single Canadian form I've ever filled out and they truncate it as they see fit. They cut out my middle initials too, but never the same ones each time so I have a collection of, on first sight, apparently different names

Looking forward to explaining myself a hundred times over on this one, but hoping I don't get the same civil servant as you

Biiiiink

xxxxx (aka xxxx) xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx <----my name
xxxxxx xxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx <---- son's name - try fitting those on a form!!!!
Could be useful if either of you need an alias!!
Old May 5th 2005, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Scouse
Could be useful if either of you need an alias!!
I applied for the SIN today and as said by kki, i didnt include my 2nd given name.. the lady was polite and she said that my name would be printed on the card, as written by me on the application form!
so, i guess the SIN is also sorted..
the lady said that i should get it within 3-4 weeks..
Old May 5th 2005, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

I applied for the SIN today and as said by kki, i didnt include my 2nd given name.. the lady was polite and she said that my name would be printed on the card, as written by me on the application form!
so, i guess the SIN is also sorted..
the lady said that i should get it within 3-4 weeks..
Well, done Amy. Really feeling like an immigrant this last few days. With all the applications - PR card, SIN card, Health Insurance, Bank Account etc BTW I must say I was impressed by the ease of applying for the Health Insurane. Took less than 20 minutes including the waiting time for the whole process to be completed. I thought there was a 90 day waiting period but my letter stated I am eligible from July 01. Is that an error or has the rule changed? Or Am I just lucky?

The guy at the Quebec Immigration and Citizen service was so helpful today. I like the idea of having an immigration adviser inform you of the basics. Really helpful
Old May 5th 2005, 10:46 am

Well, done Amy. Really feeling like an immigrant this last few days. With all the applications - PR card, SIN card, Health Insurance, Bank Account etc BTW I must say I was impressed by the ease of applying for the Health Insurane. Took less than 20 minutes including the waiting time for the whole process to be completed. I thought there was a 90 day waiting period but my letter stated I am eligible from July 01. Is that an error or has the rule changed? Or Am I just lucky?

The guy at the Quebec Immigration and Citizen service was so helpful today. I like the idea of having an immigration adviser inform you of the basics. Really helpful
Hey kki, where did u get the Health Insurance done from?? I have an appointment with the Quebec Immigration Authorities on 9th May.. and I guess I'll be given the required info about the health and other facilities on offer..
Old May 5th 2005, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Hey kki, where did u get the Health Insurance done from?? I have an appointment with the Quebec Immigration Authorities on 9th May.. and I guess I'll be given the required info about the health and other facilities on offer..
Amy, I got the Health Insurance done at the Quebec govt office on Boulevard de Maisonneuve. You don't have to wait for the appointment on May 9. That's the same kind of appointment I attended today. It is relative painless to apply for the Health Insurance. Took me all of 20 minutes!!

Do you have to take any language classes?
Old May 6th 2005, 10:02 am

Amy, I got the Health Insurance done at the Quebec govt office on Boulevard de Maisonneuve. You don't have to wait for the appointment on May 9. That's the same kind of appointment I attended today. It is relative painless to apply for the Health Insurance. Took me all of 20 minutes!!

Do you have to take any language classes?
I am thinking of taking the course for French learning.. I think it would be of use in the long-term future! I know I dont have to wait for the appointment, but I guess its better to wait and then get it done completely at the appointment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.