Citizenship - When can we apply?

Old Mar 28th 2017, 7:51 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizenship - When can we apply?

Just tried searching threads in answer to my query but failed to quite see what I was after.

Reading online....
It seems that to qualify for Canadian citizenship you must be physically present in Canada for at least 1,460 days (four years) during the six years before the date of the application and physically present in Canada for at least 183 days in each of four calendar years within the qualifying period, unless there are exceptional circumstances.

We (husband and wife) are both PR’s of Canada plus work in Canada and overseas in the offshore oil and gas industry, so spend a number of days a year out of Canada (offshore on ships).

We became PR's Feb 2013. So, Feb of this year we completed 4 years since we first became PR's of Canada.

On physical time in Canada for example:
My days out of Canada over the last 4 years 1 month (since becoming a PR), amount to around 300 days in total, which means to date I have so far accumulated approximately 1,190 in country with 270 days needed to make the magic 1,460 days required. These figures are approximate.
In the preceding 4 years I have been physically present in Canada for at least 183 days in each of those years of that I am 100% sure.
Whats not clear to me is do I have to wait for a full 6 years before I apply for citizenship or can I apply as soon as I have accumulated 1,460 days (four years) physical presence in Canada which could be any time later in my 5th year since I became a PR.
Taking into account the requirement to also be physically present in Canada for at least 183 days in each of four calendar years within the qualifying period.

Not that I feel it makes much of a difference, but this is our home, we don't reside anywhere else in the world and only travel away for work and return home to Canada afterwards. We are employed by our own incorporated (in BC) company and pay all taxes in Canada. Clearly citizenship qualification doesn't quite cater for our line of global work. We'll get there in the end I am sure.
We (Mrs and I) have no issues with maintaining PR, but would like to get citizenship done and dusted as soon as legally allowed to do so.

Regards
James
Old Mar 28th 2017, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship - When can we apply?

From the CIC website
Time you have lived in Canada
You must have been physically present in Canada as a permanent resident for at least 1,460 days during the six years immediately before the date of your application. You must also be physically present for at least 183 days during each of four calendar years that are fully or partially within the six years immediately before the date of application. These requirements do not apply to children under 18.

Exceptions to these requirements apply for certain Crown servants and certain family members of Crown servants.

When calculating how long you have lived in Canada, you can only count time spent after you became a permanent resident of Canada.
Determine your eligibility – Citizenship

So yes you could apply in your 5th year if meeting the eligibility requirements.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Unless it's changed since we became citizens in May 2017, there used to be a calculator on the CIC website - you input your pertinent information, including days out of the country to date and it told you the first day looking forward that you are eligible to apply - we found it a very useful tool as we had different information but could establish when we all became eligible and applied all together.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 6:24 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Citizenship - When can we apply?

Many thanks to Former Lancastrian and Twitcher for taking the time to respond.

Through what you have advised, and further digging on my part - checking days in and out for example, I'm now clear on the path forward for us.

I used the physical presence calculator and saved the information to use when we apply. It showed me as being able to apply Feb 2018 and my wife 6 months later as she has spent more time out of Canada than I since we first became PR's.
The good news, with adding and saving dates in the calculator, is you can present that information when you apply for citizenship and thus skip completing CIT 0407

Quote from

https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/...790.1475046875

If you meet the physical presence requirements, print the calculation and attach a copy to your Application for Canadian Citizenship - Adults. If you attach a copy, you do not need to complete the How to Calculate Physical Presence form (CIT 0407). Make sure that the date of application used in this calculation and the date of signature on the application form and on the calculation printout are the same.
Cheers
James.Mc
Old Mar 30th 2017, 6:23 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
Unless it's changed since we became citizens in May 2017, there used to be a calculator on the CIC website - you input your pertinent information, including days out of the country to date and it told you the first day looking forward that you are eligible to apply - we found it a very useful tool as we had different information but could establish when we all became eligible and applied all together.
Bum...i fall short by 100 days because i was out of the country for more than 2 years i wont be eligible again until 3rd Jan 2021
Old Mar 31st 2017, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

tweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if you are present in Canada if aboard a Canadian-flagged vessel or on an oil platform within Canada's Territorial Waters?
Old Mar 31st 2017, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

CanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tweed_wearer
I wonder if you are present in Canada if aboard a Canadian-flagged vessel or on an oil platform within Canada's Territorial Waters?
I did think this. If your born on a Canadian vessel your Canadian, so don't see why it wouldn't count towards citizenship residency.
Old Apr 1st 2017, 2:23 pm
All Sooked up!

Originally Posted by tweed_wearer
That is deemed as time in Canada no matter what flag the vessel may be registered under. The reason I am reasonably sure about this is, to work in Canadian oil & gas sector offshore a foreigner requires a work permit and must pay taxes as if they are on Canadian soil. If you were not deemed as working in Canada, because you are outside the 12 mile limit, then no work permit would be required.

Last edited by james.mc; Apr 1st 2017 at 2:33 pm.