Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Citizenship wait-do you have to be in Canada?

Citizenship wait-do you have to be in Canada?

Old May 25th 2010, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

Cracker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship wait-do you have to be in Canada?

After 3 years of permanent residency, do you have to wait in Canada for the citizenship processing or can you be abroad while waiting for the paperwork to be processed?

I would like to know if anyone has been abroad while waiting for the citizenship processing or if anyone knows the answer with confidence.
Old May 27th 2010, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Rixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship wait-do you have to be in Canada?

You need to be in Canada as anytime outside counts against you.
Unless you family class and you've gone abroad with them it doesn't count for you.
Old May 27th 2010, 6:03 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Rixy
You need to be in Canada as anytime outside counts against you.
Unless you family class and you've gone abroad with them it doesn't count for you.
Rixy, you are mixing apples and oranges (PR residency and Citizenship) which are 2 different processes. If the OP has completed 1095 physical days in Canada in the 4 years prior to the citizenship application, then s/he is fine. They don't have to be in Canada during the processing, but they will have to return at least twice, once for the test and once for the oath. CIC will NOT send notifications outside Canada.
Old May 27th 2010, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Rixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough getting mixed up, I thought it was the build up to the 1095 days.
I got told on the build up to those days any outside time goes against.
Old May 27th 2010, 7:03 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

The tricky bit of being out of Canada is knowing when you have been called for the test and ceremony, and being able to hot foot it back in time...notice periods are in the order of a week or two, rather than months, Sometimes it can be only a few days notice.

Last edited by iaink; May 27th 2010 at 8:20 pm.
Old May 27th 2010, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Cracker is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both for your advice. Just to clarify, my question is for AFTER the 3 years (1095 days) have been completed as a Permanent Resident.

I am asking about whether you still have to in Canada in the waiting period during citizenship processing.

I would expect to return to Canada, of course, for the Citizen test and oath.
Old May 27th 2010, 8:20 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cracker
Thank you both for your advice. Just to clarify, my question is for AFTER the 3 years (1095 days) have been completed as a Permanent Resident.

I am asking about whether you still have to in Canada in the waiting period during citizenship processing.

I would expect to return to Canada, of course, for the Citizen test and oath.
No, but you need to be sure you know about the test and oath...CIC will most definitely only send correspondence to a canadian address.
Old May 28th 2010, 12:42 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
No, but you need to be sure you know about the test and oath...CIC will most definitely only send correspondence to a canadian address.
Discussed at:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canadi...ng_application

Why so many people are interested in this is unclear. The expectation is that migrants should want to remain.
Old May 28th 2010, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

crazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
Discussed at:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canadi...ng_application

Why so many people are interested in this is unclear. The expectation is that migrants should want to remain.
An old "Hotel Canada" article comes to mind....