Citizenship timing

Old Apr 4th 2005, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

peterevanscott is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship timing

I'd appreciate it if anyone who was recently sworn in as a citizen could let me know the amount of time between receiving the notice to appear at the ceremony and the ceremony itself. We have many people who want to fly in for my wife, and we want to organize a big party! So knowing how much time is available to prepare would be helpful.

Many thanks!
Old Apr 4th 2005, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all
Default Re: Citizenship timing

Originally Posted by peterevanscott
I'd appreciate it if anyone who was recently sworn in as a citizen could let me know the amount of time between receiving the notice to appear at the ceremony and the ceremony itself. We have many people who want to fly in for my wife, and we want to organize a big party! So knowing how much time is available to prepare would be helpful.

Many thanks!
I applied in August 2004, finally got an acknowledgment in January 2005, and haven't heard anything since. I have heard everything from a few months to well over a year for the total time from application to oath.
Old Apr 4th 2005, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sysclp
I applied in August 2004, finally got an acknowledgment in January 2005, and haven't heard anything since. I have heard everything from a few months to well over a year for the total time from application to oath.

Thanks sysclp! However, I'm not really looking for the amount of time for the total application process - I only need to know the time between being told when and where the ceremony is, and the actual date of the ceremony (assuming a successful application, of course).

If it's only two weeks or so, for instance, that's not enough time for most people to book time off and fly in. If it's a month or two, that's something they can probably handle. We'd just like to know what to expect.

Thanks again!
Old Apr 4th 2005, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Redwings is an unknown quantity at this point

Assuming the delays and backlog of the application for citizenship takes a few months, would you be able to send in you application a few months earlier that would still be on time to meet their requirement of 3/5 yrs?

Thanks,

RW
Old Apr 4th 2005, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Redwings
Assuming the delays and backlog of the application for citizenship takes a few months, would you be able to send in you application a few months earlier that would still be on time to meet their requirement of 3/5 yrs?

Thanks,

RW
No - when you sign and date the application you are affirming that you are eligible, and you're not eligible until you've actually met the requirement. Sorry!
Old Apr 4th 2005, 2:25 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redwings

Thanks,

RW

It's 3/4 years, as per the requirements on the CIC website.

Don't jump the gun and apply early unless you want a really long wait at best and a refusal at worst. Wait until you have 1095 days in the 4 years preceding (plus a margin for mistakes in counting - then apply, not before).

Only if you can't meet this requirement and special circumstances apply, such as extensive business travel for your Canadian employer, should you consider applying otherwise and even only with 3 years as a PR plus professional assistance.

Jeremy