Citizenship through mother

Old May 13th 2008, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Citizenship through mother

I am writing on behalf of a friend who wishes to claim Canadian citizenship (her Mother is Canadian living in the UK) and my friend was born here in the UK 24 years ago.

Can someone tell me how she would go about it - I'm assuming contacting the embassy in London, and roughly how long it would take? i.e. should she start the process now if she wants to go in 18 months?

Thank you
Old May 13th 2008, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

ill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the roughill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the roughill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the roughill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Citizenship through mother

If you search 'lost canadians' I think theres quite alot of info on getting citizenship if you fall into one of the catagories of why you didn't get it at birth or what ever.
Maybe someone else will know more
Old May 13th 2008, 9:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.international.gc.ca/canad...after77-en.asp
Old May 13th 2008, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

ill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the roughill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the roughill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the roughill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the rough

Im guessing this only applies so long as OPs mother was actually born in Canada and didnt acquire citizenship some other way?
Old May 13th 2008, 11:21 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ill_only_miss_eastenders
Im guessing this only applies so long as OPs mother was actually born in Canada and didnt acquire citizenship some other way?
It also applies if mother was naturalised in Canada.

Or, subject to retention requirements by age 28, if mother was Canadian by descent.
Old May 13th 2008, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Thanks so much for this. Reading the link confirms my friend is entitled to claim as her Mother was born in Canada, has a Canadian passport and has not requested a British passport.
Old May 13th 2008, 11:47 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bromleygirl
Thanks so much for this. Reading the link confirms my friend is entitled to claim as her Mother was born in Canada, has a Canadian passport and has not requested a British passport.
Even if mother had become British, it wouldn't matter if that had been on or after 15 February 1977.

Mother should consider becoming British now.

And in fact, under the new law, once it's in force it would not matter if mother had become British before 1977.

Does your friend have any children of her own, or any children planned?
Old May 14th 2008, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

Do you have any idea when the new law will come in force?
Old May 14th 2008, 10:24 am
JAJ
Retired

Do you have any idea when the new law will come in force?
Anytime between now and 17 April 2009.

Have you a specific situation in mind that may be affected?
Old May 14th 2008, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

No, nothing that would help me, but it would my dad. His dad (my grandad) was Born and raised in Canada and then moved back to the UK before my dad was born. My dad didn't get Canadian citizenship and so is hoping with this new act he may be able to.
Old May 14th 2008, 11:43 pm
JAJ
Retired

No, nothing that would help me, but it would my dad. His dad (my grandad) was Born and raised in Canada and then moved back to the UK before my dad was born. My dad didn't get Canadian citizenship and so is hoping with this new act he may be able to.
When was your father born? - before or after 1 January 1947?
Old May 15th 2008, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

After. He's 53.