Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

CITIZENSHIP TEST...TO WAIT OR NOT TO WAIT

Wikiposts

CITIZENSHIP TEST...TO WAIT OR NOT TO WAIT

Old Jan 1st 2011, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

AlexTsipkis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CITIZENSHIP TEST...TO WAIT OR NOT TO WAIT

Good Day,

I applied last Oct 2009, received ACK in Mar 2010 and finally my application was transferred to Montreal on Oct 8th, 2010. So Jan 8th, 2011, my application will complete 3 months to the local Office.

Does anybody have any idea how long will it still take to get the call for the test, since i am planning to go back to my home country in the second week of January for 1.5 months ??? I did call the CIC office and they told me it may take upto 9 months to get the call for the test. So , i was wondering if :

1/ It would be good to call the CIC and let them know that i won't be here in Montreal for 1.5 months and don't give me the call for the test

OR

2/ It would be good NOT to tell them and meanwhile if i get a call for the test , then call them and let them know that i m out of town so postpone my test . Will doing this delay my application further as compared to if i let them know in advance ???? My friend will be here and checking my mails.

OR

3/ Your ideas ?????

I appreciate if somebody would share their experiences OR let me know what option would be good to choose.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Pompeygirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CITIZENSHIP TEST...TO WAIT OR NOT TO WAIT

Originally Posted by AlexTsipkis
Good Day,

I applied last Oct 2009, received ACK in Mar 2010 and finally my application was transferred to Montreal on Oct 8th, 2010. So Jan 8th, 2011, my application will complete 3 months to the local Office.

Does anybody have any idea how long will it still take to get the call for the test, since i am planning to go back to my home country in the second week of January for 1.5 months ??? I did call the CIC office and they told me it may take upto 9 months to get the call for the test. So , i was wondering if :

1/ It would be good to call the CIC and let them know that i won't be here in Montreal for 1.5 months and don't give me the call for the test

OR

2/ It would be good NOT to tell them and meanwhile if i get a call for the test , then call them and let them know that i m out of town so postpone my test . Will doing this delay my application further as compared to if i let them know in advance ???? My friend will be here and checking my mails.

OR

3/ Your ideas ?????

I appreciate if somebody would share their experiences OR let me know what option would be good to choose.
Hi,
Not sure if Montreal is the same as Calgary in terms of wait times, but we applied June 2009 and got the letter to advise us of our test on Nov 12th 2010 and the test date was nov 30th!

Good luck!
Its the most amazing ceremony!
Old Jan 4th 2011, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

Thankyou girl for sharing your experience.

Seems like Calgary is the slowest one as compared to Montreal, while toronto is the fastest. People in toronto who applied in the same month as me, already got their Citizenship in Nov, 2010 and we, the poor Montrealers haven't got the Citizenship test call yet :-(.

Any other experiences about whether to tell CIC about my leaving or better not to tell them???
Old Jan 4th 2011, 6:36 am
Just Joined

Hi
I am pretty sure that if you cannot make the date, it says on the letter to call them to reschedule, and I would imagine they will fit you in as soon after that date as is possible.
Maybe call the CIC general phone number and enquire, but I would say you should be ok and will probably get your letter on your return.
Have you checked your status online? Ours was updated a good 12 days before we actually received the letter, so we knew when our citizenship test date was in advance of getting the official letter.
I did call CIC back in september as my UK passport was runnning out and wanted to know if I really had to renew that (didnt want to as its so expensive) and they told me that if I had heard nothing by feb!!! to call them back! So it was a nice surprise to hear pretty soon after that!
Good luck!
Old Jan 4th 2011, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Thankyou girl. Yes, i keep on checking my online status now-a-days very frequently, may be 3-4 times a day :-) , to see if there is any update before i book the ticket.

I didn't know that they say on the test letter , that if we can't make it , we can reschedule the test. If this is the case, i would better NOT tell them that i am leaving and meanwhile if i get any response , i would tell them that i am out of Canada and reschedule me after i return.:-)

I will definitely call them tomorrow to see if there is any update in their system.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Yes it just said on the letter, if you are unable to make this test date, please call as soon as possible to reschedule.
My husband works out of the country quite a bit with his job, and so it was possible he wouldnt make it. They have to make exceptions for sure.
I would just either check your online status whilst away, or have your friend check your mail, and if a letter from the CIC arrives, have him open it to see what date you get!
Good luck! Its totally passable if you study the guide, and theres a great online test you can do, to practice!google canadian citizenship test.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

Thankyou. Yes, i plan to check the status regularly and my friend will keep checking my mails.

I guess, the test is not too difficult to pass. For sure, i will do practice questions on net, i guess i need to read the whole citizenship guide as well.