Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Citizenship test prior to completion of other steps??

Citizenship test prior to completion of other steps??

Old Jun 12th 2022, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Rainmaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship test prior to completion of other steps??

Hi All,

Hope all are well.

I am going through the citizenship application progress and thus far all I see as "completed" is my background verification. Strangely, or maybe not, my latest update is the following: "Citizenship test activity status updated", however, there have been no changes to sections relating to language skills, physical presence, nor prohibitions. My assumption was that any citizenship test updates would occur at the end of the process, once all the other steps have been completed. Is my assumption incorrect, and could I possibly be invited to undertake a citizenship test prior to the other sections changing from "In Progress" to "Completed"?

Many thanks.
Old Jun 12th 2022, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship test prior to completion of other steps??

The normal process is for you to take the test and then for the rest of the sections to be completed. Background check will also likely go back to In Progress after you complete the test.
Old Jun 12th 2022, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bc2015
The normal process is for you to take the test and then for the rest of the sections to be completed. Background check will also likely go back to In Progress after you complete the test.
Gotcha. Very helpful. Thank you for letting me know.

From what you know, and only indicatively, what would you say is the average period between posting the citizenship application and the test appointment being granted?
Old Jun 14th 2022, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

duchessofc is an unknown quantity at this point

It varies widely, and this is especially the case now with the current delays and extended processing time.

I also have a citizenship application in progress, and one resource I have found useful is the forum at canadavisa.com - members there have helpfully put together a citizenship application tracker which can give you some idea of the time it is taking for people's test invites to be issued: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=224875574

Old Jun 15th 2022, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by duchessofc
It varies widely, and this is especially the case now with the current delays and extended processing time.

I also have a citizenship application in progress, and one resource I have found useful is the forum at canadavisa.com - members there have helpfully put together a citizenship application tracker which can give you some idea of the time it is taking for people's test invites to be issued: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=224875574
This is extremely informative, and the spreadsheet is a fantastic initiative. It is remarkable the difference in processing times per application, with some progressing far quicker than others. I wonder what the reasons are for this? Luck of the draw? I am sure this type of question has been tackled by many others on this forum and so I will search for it.

Thus far, I am approx.12 months in since I applied for citizenship and have recently been informed of my opening for the test.

How is your application coming along?
Old Jun 17th 2022, 3:37 am
Just Joined

duchessofc is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm glad it is useful! Unfortunately the process does seem very random and it is definitely not first come first serve...

I am nine months in on my own application - submitted (paper) Sept 10, 2021, received AOR Dec 3, 2021, and the background check was completed Jan 18, 2021. I checked my status just now, funnily enough, and I have been invited to take the test (finally!) Everything else except for the oath is showing in progress.
Old Jun 17th 2022, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by duchessofc
I'm glad it is useful! Unfortunately the process does seem very random and it is definitely not first come first serve...

I am nine months in on my own application - submitted (paper) Sept 10, 2021, received AOR Dec 3, 2021, and the background check was completed Jan 18, 2021. I checked my status just now, funnily enough, and I have been invited to take the test (finally!) Everything else except for the oath is showing in progress.
How funny. That is pretty much the same timeline as I have seen with my application, give or take a couple of days. How many times did you double take and refresh the page when you noticed something has changed?

I intend on taking the test very soon and have just started the process of going through the "Discover Canada" booklet. You may be more in tune and further ahead with all of this than I, and if so, do you know of any good online resources to use to improve on my knowledge? Also, with respect to provincial parties in power/party leaders/opposition, I assume this may also form part of the questions and are required learning too?

The very best of luck to you on your test Duchess.... you are almost there