Citizenship Test

Old Jul 1st 2019, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizenship Test

So it seems like most ‘real’ Canadians wouldn’t pass the test. Not surprised really - I remember looking at the equivalent British one a while ago and thought many of the questions tough and not necessarily very relevant.

https://www.cp24.com/news/most-canad...poll-1.4489327
Old Jul 1st 2019, 1:47 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship Test

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
So it seems like most ‘real’ Canadians wouldn’t pass the test. Not surprised really - I remember looking at the equivalent British one a while ago and thought many of the questions tough and not necessarily very relevant.

https://www.cp24.com/news/most-canad...poll-1.4489327
A few days ago, I got my partner to try a test on an app I have on my phone. He gave up after 5 questions (getting them all wrong) and then proceeded to complain that there wasn’t enough questions related to hockey. He’s a born and bred Canadian
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure the citizenship test is really to "test if you're a true canadian" or something, it's to make sure you understand the basic concepts of governance in Canada and understand Canadian values. One notable thing is that the citizenship booklet, which is required reading for the test, highlights things that are not permitted in Canada such as barbaric cultural practices that might be more commonplace in an immigrants birth country. It doesn't need to be passable by Canadians who have already grown up in Canada, but serves as a gatekeeper to those from other backgrounds, and I think it does this in a very fair and balanced way.
Old Jul 3rd 2019, 2:44 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
I'm not sure the citizenship test is really to "test if you're a true canadian" or something, it's to make sure you understand the basic concepts of governance in Canada and understand Canadian values. One notable thing is that the citizenship booklet, which is required reading for the test, highlights things that are not permitted in Canada such as barbaric cultural practices that might be more commonplace in an immigrants birth country. It doesn't need to be passable by Canadians who have already grown up in Canada, but serves as a gatekeeper to those from other backgrounds, and I think it does this in a very fair and balanced way.
Yeah but there is a lot history questions as well that those born here would have studied in school.

Even I know my kings and queens of England/UK and some of their reigns
Old Jul 4th 2019, 10:00 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I was stunned when I asked my husband the questions, Louis Riel, Manitoba and other such goodies poured forth and I had no idea that he knew so much about Canada, because he sure hasn’t mentioned it before...he got all of them right without hesitation. They evidently did get it all in school at some stage.
Younger people do seem a little foxed by them and I don’t know if they are just not being taught it so much now.

l think they a are good set of questions that do give a brief idea of Canadian culture and history which I think was very good for me to know, and I’m not sure I would have sat down and read about it if I hadn’t had to sit the test.

Old Jul 14th 2019, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

I have my test & ceremony coming up in a few days, in Edmonton. I chatted with a few colleagues about the process, passing on some of the 'typical' questions. All I got was blank looks at "Who was Louis Riel?" and "Who was the first Prime Minister?". Some were even of the opinion that asking such questions was, in some ill-defined way, 'discriminatory'. These folk were, I hasten to add, born-and-bred Canucks.