Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Citizenship test in 3w, autistic adult, questions eeek

Citizenship test in 3w, autistic adult, questions eeek

Old Jun 2nd 2019, 8:11 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizenship test in 3w, autistic adult, questions eeek

Hi all, it’s been a while since I’ve posted. Me, hubs and three kids (11,9,2) moved to Prince George bc nearly 7 years ago. On twp. Got PR Boxing Day 2013, we’re ready for citizenship then they moved the goalposts, then they moved them again, anyway we finally became eligible for citizenship one month after eldest turned 18 (🤬) he has autism and doesn’t test well. He can easily demonstrate use of the English language (he is a genius, literally) but they won’t let him skip the test.
we have a date thru at last (11.5m after applying so bang on the 12m timeline) and me and hubs are studying the book but son is struggling. Anyone with an autistic young adult worked thru this?

7 year update, by the way Prince George is nowhere near as bad as you’ve all heard. It’s a fabulous place to live and we have some solid friends here who would do anything for us, oldest is living in his own flat, receiving disability and volunteering at a thrift store. Getting work experience etc. Middle is about to graduate high school and both of the two can drive. Smallest is now 8 and a proper Canadian, we now live on a small farm and wouldn’t dream of going back to blighty even if you offered us £10m!
Old Jun 2nd 2019, 9:37 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship test in 3w, autistic adult, questions eeek

Don't know if this might be of help... lots of information on the process and how to apply on the link

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...e-grounds.html
When an applicant requests a waiver of certain requirements of the Citizenship Act or has demonstrated to the citizenship officer that they will not be able to meet the requirement for citizenship concerning language or knowledge due to a medical condition, the applicant should provide a medical opinion completed by their physician.
and
Citizenship officers and CMB analysts may approve a request for a waiver on compassionate grounds in exceptional cases further to having reviewed an applicant’s particular circumstances.
Requirements that may be waived on compassionate grounds

For any applicant (including applicants 18 to 54 years of age, and all applicants over 54 years of age):
knowledge of one of the official languages of Canada;
knowledge of Canada and of the responsibilities and privileges of citizenship; and/or
the taking of the oath of citizenship.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 3rd 2019 at 2:17 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

BTW my daughter found it far more effective to do sample tests, rather than concentrate on learning the book. There are a finite number of questions and you learn as you go, from your wrong answers being corrected. Perhaps that would be easier for you and your son?
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 8:00 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
BTW my daughter found it far more effective to do sample tests, rather than concentrate on learning the book. There are a finite number of questions and you learn as you go, from your wrong answers being corrected. Perhaps that would be easier for you and your son?
that’s a great tip and exactly what we’ve been doing 👍🏻 He has a photographic memory he can learn it easily the issue is interpreting the ambiguous questions and providing the answers he knows in a way they can understand as correct.
Old Jun 30th 2019, 8:14 pm
finally together...

Update... my email to citizenship clearly got thru to a human which is lovely, she sent me the medical exemption form to get signed by the doctor (our dr is awful this was an ordeal but I got it done!)
they arranged for autistic 19yo to take the test verbally and if/when he failed he could use medical exemption so would qualify either way.
son actually walked they the test with 20/20 because photographic memory despite all my worry

me and hubs then sat test (also 20/20 but I’ve been drilling him for months on questions so we worked for it)

took oath of citizenship on wednesday so all 5 of us now finally Canadians. Just in time for Canada day and very happy it’s finally over.
Old Jun 30th 2019, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations to you all!!
Old Jun 30th 2019, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely story. Congratulations xx
Old Jun 30th 2019, 11:46 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by __TJ__
Update... my email to citizenship clearly got thru to a human which is lovely, she sent me the medical exemption form to get signed by the doctor (our dr is awful this was an ordeal but I got it done!)
they arranged for autistic 19yo to take the test verbally and if/when he failed he could use medical exemption so would qualify either way.
son actually walked they the test with 20/20 because photographic memory despite all my worry

me and hubs then sat test (also 20/20 but I’ve been drilling him for months on questions so we worked for it)

took oath of citizenship on wednesday so all 5 of us now finally Canadians. Just in time for Canada day and very happy it’s finally over.

Congrats to you all - glad it worked out in the end