Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Citizenship Question - your experiences

Citizenship Question - your experiences

Old Nov 25th 2012, 1:54 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship Question - your experiences

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
Not at all happy with Canadian culture, we like the scenery but find the people very strange (cant judge all of Canada on one place we know) - they seem to be very immature and lack common sense in the West (that's if they are not shooting each other). See a near miss report at work this week - worker threatened to be shot with cross bow if they didnt stop cutting trees back from a powerline in Abbotsford - really!!!! I am not sure how to describe it, the people at work dont seem to get on with each other - constant petty squabbling over nothing, greed, selfishness etc. not seen anything like it on this scale before.
Also many people are not Canadians so it may not be a fair reflection. However recent surveys did point out that Vancouver was not a very friendly place to live.

We would definitely not go back to UK and thought long and hard. Think it might be the 5 year itch (this is our 5th year)!
Starting to think about a place in the sun to retire - it rains everyday in Vancouver - need the snow to come. My buddy has just flown down to Palm Springs to look for a place.

Your right the user name is a bit outdated and needs to be changed - any idea how to change it?

Friday again time for a wine and more partying this weekend.
Wine helps.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Wine helps.
It did!
Old Nov 25th 2012, 5:58 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tallperson
I remember we had to write and ask specifically for our applications to be comisdered separately, otherwise they were lumped together.
Applications may be processed together for convenience. As long as spouses have the option to be processed separately, there is no breach of the Citizenship Act.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 2:11 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Doesn't everyone get those things ?
I have no idea. Never heard it mentioned before.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookie
I have no idea. Never heard it mentioned before.
No, you have to apply for one.
Useful to have as it lets you in free to all sorts of things. Museums etc....
Only valid for one night trip at 50% on via though, not limitless.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 11:56 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by misplacedheidi
No, you have to apply for one.
Useful to have as it lets you in free to all sorts of things. Museums etc....
Only valid for one night trip at 50% on via though, not limitless.
We got given them at our ceremony too, I was just wondering.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

petemaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Citizenship Question - your experiences

Originally Posted by JAJ
Except that this is wrong - under the law, spouse applications are not legally combined and they are assessed as individuals. There's also nothing in the CIC Citizenship Manual saying that if a person fails the test, the spouse must also come for an interview ...
That's what we were told when we sat the test in Scarborough ....
Old Dec 13th 2012, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

bombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of light

We applied Feb 2011, application transferred to Scarborough in June 2012, now we have to wait until March 2013, before we can ask them to chase up our application....so just waiting for the exam! I know all checks have been passed, as I was told this by CIC......WOW, What a wait!
Old Dec 18th 2012, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Hinwinnipeg has a brilliant futureHinwinnipeg has a brilliant futureHinwinnipeg has a brilliant futureHinwinnipeg has a brilliant futureHinwinnipeg has a brilliant futureHinwinnipeg has a brilliant futureHinwinnipeg has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Hinwinnipeg
Here is our timeline..

Our file was acknowledged November 2010.
Processing started October 2011.
File was transferred to the Winnipeg office December 2011.
Citizenship test October 2012 - 2 weeks notice given.

Test was harder than expected for me. Had been reading the study guide (2010 edition) a lot since we got notification of the test date, whereas OH did hardly any reading up and thinks he got 17 or 18. I was the last one to leave the room as I read the questions over and over before circling any answers. Did the ones I was sure about first, then the 50/50 ones and that left me with about 6 that I had no idea on. I reckon a lot of the questions were from newer editions of the study guide.

Paperwork says we have to wait 2-4 months for the outcome. My brother in law and his wife took their test a month before us and did their oath within 6 weeks of the test. Hoping our news is good and that the oath is soon as OH will be away working Feb-April.
Well, we passed. Got Oath ceremony on the 8th January 2013.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hinwinnipeg
Well, we passed. Got Oath ceremony on the 8th January 2013.
Congratulations! I need to apply for citizenship soon so maybe I'll pick your head a bit when I am going through the paperwork lol.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Hinwinnipeg!

ArthurBrit, the citizenship paperwork is incredibly straightforward.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie
Congrats Hinwinnipeg!

ArthurBrit, the citizenship paperwork is incredibly straightforward.
I've not gone through it yet, I need to get PR-renewal card done first then I need to renew my British passport once that's done I will go through the citizenship papers!

I here it's about a two year process and a test on Canada should I be sucessfull in the application?
Old Dec 18th 2012, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Depends. We hadn our test last week, applied in Feb this year. Some people it seems to be a lot longer. Yes, a test, they send you a book to read with all the answers in it. The cic website has it to look at online too.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

We applied in July 2011. Got the notice to turn up to do the test about 4 weeks ago, did the test this morning (it was easier than I expected - we were in and out in less than 45 minutes, and that included hanging around waiting for all the paperwork to be assessed). Not expecting any problems - there was only one question that I was not 100% sure of the answer, so worked it out by a process of elimination.

All being well, we have been told that our ceremony/taking the oath will be on Jan 10th.