Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Citizenship Question - your experiences

Citizenship Question - your experiences

Old Nov 14th 2012, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship Question - your experiences

Originally Posted by petemaz
We were told that if you apply together and if one fails then the other will not get citizenship (even if they pass) until failed person is interviewed by the Judge which can take up to twelve months.....The interview is a more detailed test on your knowledge from the book - as I said earlier that is the info we were given at time of test.

Because of politics changing all the time I settled down to study as soon as I received my test date. I spent every spare moment of the 4 weeks reading and testing myself.

Do not get too relaxed about the test. I did tons and tons of different tests online and was hitting 95% - 100% every time in very fast speeds (the results told me I was speedy ) I read Discover Canada from cover to cover a fair few times and felt confident going in to the test. There were six questions I struggled on - 3 which were not in the book and had never been asked on any of the online tests so the confidence dipped quite quickly!!!! The whole test wasn't really like anything I'd taken online.... The other three questions I knew the answers to, but just blanked out - think I was in panic mode! So I came out feeling very nervous. I obviously scraped through as I did pass but it was not an easy test.

My OH took the test at the same time - we had to sit at opposite sides of the room. OH took a completely different test to me. Their test was textbook questions and a complete walk in the park. Thought they hit at least 19 out of 20 (show off!) reckoned when we swopped questions and answers later - they would have failed if they had my test (didn't study as much as me).

So don't get complacent - the test aren't all as easy as some people say- it's certainly depends on which test you get on the day itself.

Good luck!
I agree, we studied and did the mock exams online everyday (at least 20 per day) for weeks before and to be honest we both struggled. Read the book, blah, blah. However, if we failed then the whole room did. Honestly most of the people there didn't have English or French as their first language and when asked the pre test questions about residency, passport stamps, dates of travel and even "where are your children in Canada" most of them didn't even understand those questions. We'll see. Put it this way, very pleased we got the PR cards renewed again because at least the $200 and mountains of paperwork were worth it if the Ceremony is going take forever to be upon us.

I almost want the Judge to ask us questions, nope don't know who the first woman was in the House of Commons or who are the modern day famous 7 however does employing 8 Canadians and paying a shed load in personal and business tax count??? I know I'm being facetious, just getting more and more fed up with red tape and expensive, unnecessary bureaucracy in this Country!
Old Nov 14th 2012, 3:57 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

The Canadian test does not seem to be any harder than when I did it in 2005.

I got 20/20 in 2005 in under four minutes (including checking).

I got 17/20 this time, in 3.22.

One question, I ticked the wrong box by mistake. Another, I simply didn't read the question properly. The last, I didn't know the answer but would have done if I'd read the book.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
The Canadian test does not seem to be any harder than when I did it in 2005.

I got 20/20 in 2005 in under four minutes (including checking).

I got 17/20 this time, in 3.22.

One question, I ticked the wrong box by mistake. Another, I simply didn't read the question properly. The last, I didn't know the answer but would have done if I'd read the book.
Proving what?? That you were clever in 2005 when the questions were easier and that you can pass an online mock test now? This does not prove that you could pass in today's test so pretty irrelevant other than to stroke your own ego.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

brit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by petemaz
We were told that if you apply together and if one fails then the other will not get citizenship (even if they pass) until failed person is interviewed by the Judge which can take up to twelve months.....The interview is a more detailed test on your knowledge from the book - as I said earlier that is the info we were given at time of test.

Because of politics changing all the time I settled down to study as soon as I received my test date. I spent every spare moment of the 4 weeks reading and testing myself.

Do not get too relaxed about the test. I did tons and tons of different tests online and was hitting 95% - 100% every time in very fast speeds (the results told me I was speedy ) I read Discover Canada from cover to cover a fair few times and felt confident going in to the test. There were six questions I struggled on - 3 which were not in the book and had never been asked on any of the online tests so the confidence dipped quite quickly!!!! The whole test wasn't really like anything I'd taken online.... The other three questions I knew the answers to, but just blanked out - think I was in panic mode! So I came out feeling very nervous. I obviously scraped through as I did pass but it was not an easy test.

My OH took the test at the same time - we had to sit at opposite sides of the room. OH took a completely different test to me. Their test was textbook questions and a complete walk in the park. Thought they hit at least 19 out of 20 (show off!) reckoned when we swopped questions and answers later - they would have failed if they had my test (didn't study as much as me).

So don't get complacent - the test aren't all as easy as some people say- it's certainly depends on which test you get on the day itself.

Good luck!
Thank-you! I won't be too complacent I've already been doing the online test quoted, but not done very well on it lol I think when I receive the book that will help a lot. Don't want an interview lol

So you had only 4wks notice to revise until the test date?...hope I get the test your hubby got!
Old Nov 14th 2012, 5:02 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mardyarse
Proving what?? That you were clever in 2005 when the questions were easier and that you can pass an online mock test now? This does not prove that you could pass in today's test so pretty irrelevant other than to stroke your own ego.
I don't stroke my ego. I'm not that insecure.

The point I was trying to make, although clearly failing, is that the test is no harder now than it was then. I was not the first person to finish in 2005 and I was not this time either. The questions in the mock test are very similar to the ones from years ago. Slightly different in places but nothing that would be hard to answer after reading the book. To be frank, people have lots of time to swot-up. If they can't pass the test after that, they probably do not deserve to even be in this country because they are liabilities.

I have heard it suggested that the main reason for giving so little notice of the test date is to make sure people actually are still in the country and didn't just bugger off when they got PR.

You will likely disagree with me.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

The Lees is an unknown quantity at this point

We sat our test recently and only received the notice the week before! As long as you read the book a couple of times, and do plenty of the practice tests it's fine.

We won't know the outcome for a couple of months though
Old Nov 14th 2012, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

petemaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Citizenship Question - your experiences

I don't stroke my ego. I'm not that insecure.

The point I was trying to make, although clearly failing, is that the test is no harder now than it was then. I was not the first person to finish in 2005 and I was not this time either. The questions in the mock test are very similar to the ones from years ago. Slightly different in places but nothing that would be hard to answer after reading the book. To be frank, people have lots of time to swot-up. If they can't pass the test after that, they probably do not deserve to even be in this country because they are liabilities.

I have heard it suggested that the main reason for giving so little notice of the test date is to make sure people actually are still in the country and didn't just bugger off when they got PR.

You will likely disagree with me.
I do disagree! Firstly the test were made more difficult in 2009. The study guide is much more detailed. We have friends who took the test around the same time as you and they said it was very easy!

There is a big difference in today's tests! Our other friend did his in March and also found it hard going!The tests online although helpful - don't always give you the full picture. You did a test online - I was regularly getting 100% in 1.5-2 mins online- I can guarantee I did not get that in the official test for citizenship!!! Three questions were not in the book!

Instead of telling everyone how easy it is - they need to have the full picture so they are well prepared ...... Your being totally unrealistic and unhelpful! This forum is set up to help people not to make people feel inferior.

Last edited by petemaz; Nov 14th 2012 at 11:36 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

My mother in law who happens to be over on a visit from England just failed the test ,does that mean I'm stuck with her ?
Old Nov 15th 2012, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Mr Griffin is an unknown quantity at this point

Some great pointers in your replies, and although I did say that I only had one other question, many of your replies have prompted me to ask one final one ( and i promise it is the final one!) :

Of those who have done the test in recent times, and due to this post or for whatever reason, have taken the mock test(s) online; have you found the questions on these online tests to be a good representation of the questions / type of question, that were put on the actual test? In otherwords, just wondering are the online questions accurate in their make up? That truely is it from me! Thanks everyone.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 12:47 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by Mr Griffin
Some great pointers in your replies, and although I did say that I only had one other question, many of your replies have prompted me to ask one final one ( and i promise it is the final one!) :

Of those who have done the test in recent times, and due to this post or for whatever reason, have taken the mock test(s) online; have you found the questions on these online tests to be a good representation of the questions / type of question, that were put on the actual test? In otherwords, just wondering are the online questions accurate in their make up? That truely is it from me! Thanks everyone.
The answer to that is almost certainly yes. The online tests and the test questions on the CIC website will be very, very close to what is in the real test. If you work through every practice test you can find, I'd be surprised if you got thrown any curve balls on the day. Think about it. Why would CIC tell you what to learn and then ask you questions on something completely different? It would make no sense.

When I sat my supposedly easy test in 2005 there will people still at it after 30 minutes. I would put them in one or more of the following categories:

People unable to understand either official language
People with zero interest in the country
People too lazy to prepare
People hugely jet-lagged after rushing back at short notice from the country where they really live

If you bone-up, you will not fail the test.

Let's see who I've pissed-off this time.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 12:55 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Lets also not forget, you dont need 100% to pass the test. Its OK to get a few wrong so dont get too stressed about the whole thing. Prepare and you will pass.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 12:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The answer to that is almost certainly yes. The online tests and the test questions on the CIC website will be very, very close to what is in the real test. If you work through every practice test you can find, I'd be surprised if you got thrown any curve balls on the day. Think about it. Why would CIC tell you what to learn and then ask you questions on something completely different? It would make no sense.

When I sat my supposedly easy test in 2005 there will people still at it after 30 minutes. I would put them in one or more of the following categories:

People unable to understand either official language
People with zero interest in the country
People too lazy to prepare
People hugely jet-lagged after rushing back at short notice from the country where they really live

If you bone-up, you will not fail the test.

Let's see who I've pissed-off this time.
+1 not me
Ive seen people spend more time studying for their drivers exam than the citizenship test.
Some even complain about having to take the test well you dont if you can wait till you are 55 and apply for it then. Ah but they need that Canadian passport so they can go home and continue working until they retire then come back to Canada and then sponsor other relatives.
True not all do this but a lot do.
Pisses me off when Im presented with a Canadian passport and the holder cannot converse in English or French and not all of these people are over 55 either.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

The answer to that is almost certainly yes. The online tests and the test questions on the CIC website will be very, very close to what is in the real test.
Few of the questions in the online tests I took were close to the ones I was actually asked. However, they covered the same subjects, so practicing online for days ensured I knew the answers to the real questions.

I think I did get 100% in about 90 seconds, but I'll never know for sure since they didn't tell me; I checked the answers to the questions I wasn't sure of afterwards and I'd got all those right. But I also think I got an easy paper, as they could have asked far more difficult questions if they'd wanted to. From what I gather they're still adjusting the difficulty to get a sensible pass rate.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 6:37 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Griffin

For the most part yes, but there are some doozies which never seem to appear on the online versions.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_jul2004/Canada_Quiz.htm

Try this one!
I failed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.