Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Citizenship Question - your experiences

Citizenship Question - your experiences

Old Nov 13th 2012, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship Question - your experiences

Originally Posted by iaink
Im guessing its still a lot easier than the UK citizenship test, but then Im crap at remembering dates and percentages and historical details...

'tis what it is I guess... prepare properly and it should be OK.

"Questions answered correctly: 10 out of 24 (42%)"
http://www.ukcitizenshiptest.co.uk/

http://www.v-soul.com/onlinetest/canada_citizen_test/
You need 75% to pass the test.
The time you spent was 5 minutes and 58 seconds.
You answered correctly 23 out of 30 questions. Your score is 76.7%.
HOW FUNNY! i failed too! BUT I PASSED THE CANADIAN ONE THOUGH
You have failed the practice citizenship test.

Questions answered correctly: 11 out of 24 (46%)

Time taken: 02 minutes 34 seconds
Old Nov 13th 2012, 6:34 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

You have failed the practice citizenship test.

Questions answered correctly: 11 out of 24 (46%)

Time taken: 03 minutes 55 seconds
Old Nov 13th 2012, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

So now its a multiple choice language comprehension test with a 75% pass mark and no mandatory must get right questions?
As I said before in the other thread, if you understand English you can probably eliminate half the answers on each question. But guessing will then only get you 10 out of 20 if you don't know the correct answer.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 8:57 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
As I said before in the other thread, if you understand English you can probably eliminate half the answers on each question. But guessing will then only get you 10 out of 20 if you don't know the correct answer.
Right, but you will know the answers to more than half of them anyway... its really not rocket science if people can pass the dummy test without even studying the book.

No one ever said citizenship was a right anyway... maybe it should be harder to get. Different argument for a different day though.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Right, but you will know the answers to more than half of them anyway.
Only if you already know much of what's in the book. The test I took was easier than I expected, but there were still a bunch of dates, names and other details I wouldn't have known without reading it.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 10:52 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

The time you spent was 2 minutes and 28 seconds.
You answered correctly 18 out of 20 questions. Your score is 90%

The time you spent was 4 minutes and 17 seconds.
You answered correctly 20 out of 20 questions. Your score is 100%

Good job I'm considered old and senile so I don't have to sit it.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 10:52 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Im guessing its still a lot easier than the UK citizenship test, but then Im crap at remembering dates and percentages and historical details...

38% for the UK test

60% for the Canadian one

Time for each - just over a minute.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 1:04 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
Only if you already know much of what's in the book. The test I took was easier than I expected, but there were still a bunch of dates, names and other details I wouldn't have known without reading it.
Right, you have to read and understand the book, thats the whole point. The citizenship test is there to weed out those who cant get by in either official language.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute

Posted apps : January 2011
for 5 months they kept posting back saying they needed children's birth certificates which we sent 4 x
Got leaflet May 2011
File got sent to Ottawa in Jan 2012 they had 9 months to ask you forward for test.
Did Citizenship test with only 1 week's notice.
Now waiting for Citizenship ceremony.

Went in confident but had the smile wiped off within the first few questions. A lot harder than we had been led to believe. Haven't heard yet that we've failed so presuming we've passed.

All in all, just another expensive, long bureaucratic drawn out process that Canada just love to implement to justify employing a load of incompetent crettins on a ridiculous wage and benefits package that's crippling this country.....just saying.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
+1 ( well at least my wife's test I would have struggled with.... fortunately mine was a synch ).
We had a similar experience. "Do I need to study this thing?" she asked, after receiving the book. "I don't believe so, I suspect you will know most of the answers", I replied. The look she gave me during the test was evil
Old Nov 14th 2012, 1:45 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
We had a similar experience. "Do I need to study this thing?" she asked, after receiving the book. "I don't believe so, I suspect you will know most of the answers", I replied. The look she gave me during the test was evil
I received a similar look upon exiting. Fortunately, and well done to her, she passed.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

brit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud of

I have just recently sent off my application a lady advised theres a long backlog now up to (21mnths) due to CIC changing the forms 1/2 times this year!
I'm in no real hurry but will be travelling next year & hope my eldest son will get b4 18yrs (2yrs) so won't have to apply independently. But i presume we're fine if applied b4 he's 18 right?

Although a backlog do you think i can get called for the test by June/summer nxt year?
If so & passed the test how long after do you think the ceremony?
If NOT passed the test has anyone been interviewed by a Judge & what questions do they ask?

Thanks for your opinions
Old Nov 14th 2012, 2:56 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by brit09
Although a backlog do you think i can get called for the test by June/summer nxt year?
If so & passed the test how long after do you think the ceremony?
If NOT passed the test has anyone been interviewed by a Judge & what questions do they ask?

Thanks for your opinions
If there is a reported 21 month backlog what do you think I certainly wouldn't be optimistic about it.

How long between the test and the ceremony depends on which local office is processing things. Sometimes its very soon after, sometimes its months.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

petemaz is an unknown quantity at this point

We were told that if you apply together and if one fails then the other will not get citizenship (even if they pass) until failed person is interviewed by the Judge which can take up to twelve months.....The interview is a more detailed test on your knowledge from the book - as I said earlier that is the info we were given at time of test.

Because of politics changing all the time I settled down to study as soon as I received my test date. I spent every spare moment of the 4 weeks reading and testing myself.

Do not get too relaxed about the test. I did tons and tons of different tests online and was hitting 95% - 100% every time in very fast speeds (the results told me I was speedy ) I read Discover Canada from cover to cover a fair few times and felt confident going in to the test. There were six questions I struggled on - 3 which were not in the book and had never been asked on any of the online tests so the confidence dipped quite quickly!!!! The whole test wasn't really like anything I'd taken online.... The other three questions I knew the answers to, but just blanked out - think I was in panic mode! So I came out feeling very nervous. I obviously scraped through as I did pass but it was not an easy test.

My OH took the test at the same time - we had to sit at opposite sides of the room. OH took a completely different test to me. Their test was textbook questions and a complete walk in the park. Thought they hit at least 19 out of 20 (show off!) reckoned when we swopped questions and answers later - they would have failed if they had my test (didn't study as much as me).

So don't get complacent - the test aren't all as easy as some people say- it's certainly depends on which test you get on the day itself.

Good luck!
Old Nov 14th 2012, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

I got 15/24 on the UK one...30 years since I lived there..not too bad I guess.. Some of the questions are rather silly with multiple choices of # of children under the age of 19 being either 12,13,14 or 15 million. I'm not sure what that tests unless it was specifically in the study material.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.