Citizenship Question

Old Mar 29th 2011, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizenship Question

Hey everyone,

So i decided last year to finally apply for my Citizenship and sent off all the docs and fees in July 2010. in November I recieved acknowledgement receipt and client ID.

Obviously with the disgusting wait times i havent heard a peep since! and my PR card runs out in June of this year. With current wait times for renewed PR Cards standing at 98 days im unsure what to do.

Trying to call CIC is a waste of time as no one ever picks up. do i wait out for my citizenship or apply for a new PR card. its a pain in a** to fill in all the forms and im gonna pay $50 for something thats going to last me all of a few months seems pointless to me....

What would y'all do?
Old Mar 29th 2011, 2:48 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship Question

Do you plan going anywhere? If so you have 3 choices.

Take your chances without a PR card.. could take chances explaining that you put in for citizenship and it not come through.(take copies of documention)
Get a Travel Doc if you need one
Apply now for a replacement PR card
I'd go for option 3 myself

If you arent planning a trip I'd sit tight and wait for Citizenship, and if something comes up in the mean time I'd deal with it when and if...
Old Mar 29th 2011, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Iain,

Im tempted to just sit it out, but on the other hand what if someone back home drops dead or gets ill! I was trying to plan a trip for my birthday with OH to cuba or maybe even Niagara Falls US. But that can wait, i just get super effing stressed when dealing with CIC and didnt want the hassle but i guess its only $50 for peace of mind!
Old Mar 29th 2011, 3:19 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

If you end up at short notice HAVING to travel, worst case you can apply for a travel document in London. Or take a chance on reentering canada by explaining that you are waiting for citizenship and didnt renew the card having expected it through by now. (clearly having more than the required 2 out of 5 for PR)

Getting on the plane back as a UK PP holder should be easy enough, millions of tourists do. Establishing status in Canada at immigration is the issue, and they have ways and means to do that beyong the PR card.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Getting on the plane back as a UK PP holder should be easy enough, millions of tourists do. Establishing status in Canada at immigration is the issue, and they have ways and means to do that beyong the PR card.[/quote]

It's actually not that easy if you are flying with Air Canada - especially if you are using the return section of your ticket. Trust me, my husband and I have both had first hand experienceof this.
I've been waiting for my pr card to be renewed since July 2010. I applied for emergency pr card before I left for France in January, but was told they are now taking over 32 days to process - I applied 3 weeks before I left thinking it was enough time. I had to go to Paris to get travel document allowing me back into Canada. Had major problems and hold up when I landed back at Halifax as the person checking my passport reckoned she'd never seen one of those before and had to get it checked.
I'd be inclined to apply for pr renewal - it might save a lot of hastle if you did need to leave the country