Citizenship question

Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:49 am
Just Joined

Septimius is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship question

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to understand the process for citizenship applications because I have an urging matter on my mind. My concern is questions 6-C and 6-D in the application which state:

C Are you a citizen of any other country(ies)?

and

D Do you have permanent residence status in any other country?

Does this mean if you answer yes to any of these two questions, there is a chance you may be rejected even if you fullfil citizenship requirements?

I gained the citizenship of another country after landing so I'm terrified of question 6-C!

Really appreciate any help in understanding the process.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 10:35 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship question

You can only lose permanent residence under the Immigration & Refugee Protection Act terms.

You can only be refused citizenship if you do not meet the statutory requirements of the Citizenship Act.

You can find both at http://www.canlii.org , worth a read.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 10:40 am
Just Joined

Septimius is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks JAJ for the useful link but don't you think it's weird that they would have these questions if they dont impede citizenship, what is the point of them? I think the "other citizenship" question is because some countries don't accept dual citizenship but I'm not sure about the reason for the "other permanent residency" question.

Last edited by Septimius; Jan 12th 2010 at 11:37 am.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 5:51 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Septimius
Thanks JAJ for the useful link but don't you think it's weird that they would have these questions if they dont impede citizenship, what is the point of them? I think the "other citizenship" question is because some countries don't accept dual citizenship but I'm not sure about the reason for the "other permanent residency" question.
Because some people "pretend" that they are resident in Canada for citizenship purposes, when they are actual PRs/Green Card holders in another country. That is why your passport is reviewed at the time you show up for the test, to see if you have been telling "porkys" or not. (As Frost would say) Also CIC has access to US/Aust/UK data bases.